Home / Grammar, Usage   % width Posts: 2

"A world community can exist only with world communication ... " How do I paraphrase this quote?

luziman 1 / -  
"A world community can exist only with world communication, which means something more than extensive short-wave facilities scattered; about the globe. It means common understanding, a common tradition, common ideas, and common ideals."

From Robert M. Hutchins
Luzi, I have a few paraphrasing suggestions for you:

1. If the world is to exist as a community, then world communication must exist through the exercise of common understanding, tradition, ideas, and ideals. Although our world is interconnected in terms of gadgets that allow for constant communication, the world does not necessarily communicate well using those technological advancements.

2. Short wave radios allowed man to communicate with the world. However, communicating with the world did not translate into a world community due to the lack of common understanding, common traditions, common ideas, and common ideals.

3. When man thinks of world communication, he does not necessarily think of a world community. That is because even with the advent of short wave facilities like mobile phones and the internet, there is still a lack of common understanding tradition, ideas, and ideals that could bring the world community together.

4. Common tradition, ideas, and ideals are what comprise a world community. However the lack of those traits have prevented our world communication connected world from realizing the start of a world community.

5. In order for a world community to exist, our world has to go far beyond the scattered and extensive short wave facilities across the globe. We need to identify as a world community and become unified with the character traits of common understanding, common tradition, common ideas, and common ideals.

I hope my paraphrasing helps you out :-)

Home / Grammar, Usage / "A world community can exist only with world communication ... " How do I paraphrase this quote?