Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

I defended my PhD thesis on thermoelectric nanomateri;Cover letter for postdoc application

laozhuya 1 / 1  
I am going to apply for a new postdoctoral position in this year. And I still cannot handle this language very well. Thus, I really need you help to improve this letter, it really important to me as you can see.

Did I use too much "I" in this letter, and how can I avoid it?
Thank you for your kindly help! : P

Dear Prof. xxx,

This is xxx from xxx, and I am writing to inquire about the possibility of a postdoctoral position in your laboratory. I am very interested in your research subject in xxx, and believe that my research experiences and background could make me a strong candidate.

I defended my PhD thesis on thermoelectric nanomaterials in January 2012, and I am expected to finish a postdoctoral fellowship in xxx by the end of the year 2013. My current research focuses on thermoelectric transport properties of Bi2Te3/Sb2Te3 nanocomposites and the properties enhancement in the bulk thermoelectric materials such as p-type PbTe and Ag2Te through the band structure engineering approaches.

The unique electrical conductivity enhancement of PbTe based system at high temperature is also observed during our experiment. I have been especially intrigued by studies of this phenomenon, and I would like to have the opportunity to investigate it thoroughly in the future. Of course, I am also open to working on other project.

I have strong background in material preparation, physical property measurements and structure analysis especially for thermoelectric materials, and I am capable of reproducing the cutting-edge works in our lab which have been reported by other people. With my passion for science and these skills and experiences I've built, I am looking forward to making a positive contribution to your group.

Attached you can find my C.V, which further outlines my qualifications. I am more than willing to answer any of your questions regarding to my application and research. I am looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

xxx
admission2012 - / 477 90  
Hello,

You lack a few things here. Firstly, you need to show that you have thoroughly investigated the professor and his/her research. Talk about any parallels that you may have with any past/current research. Then you need to talk about your future, where do you see yourself in a few years and how will this lab experience help you get there?. Finally, what will you bring to this lab? You need to talk about any specific qualifications that might set you apart from the other post docs who will want this position as well. - Admissions Advice Online

Hope this helps.
OP laozhuya 1 / 1  
Thank you very much!

Home / Letters / I defended my PhD thesis on thermoelectric nanomateri;Cover letter for postdoc application