Home / Letters   % width Posts: 4

"discovering the talents I possess" - Writing a cover letter.

TarekElsakka 1 / -  
Hello there,

This is my first, and hopefully not last, day in the forum. I came across it by Googling help on writing a cover letter.

We were assigned to write an essay about our writing process. I am done with the essay and I believe it is okay for a freshman. I could post it here upon your request. Right now I am in the phase of writing a cover letter to my professor that I'll attach to my essay. It's mainly to describe what happened during the process of my writing; events, incidents, difficulties, etc. that took place.

I am not sure how to start, but this is what I've written so far:

" Dear Dr. Troy:

This letter includes details about the procedures, events, and incidents that took place during the process of my writing of the essay. It has been easy at times and hard at others, but in the end I sure hope I wrote an essay that will give you suffice information about my writing process and me in general. I cannot deny the fact that this has been an interesting essay and gave me the opportunity to start thinking deeply and discover things about me that I did not know of beforehand. .... "

Any help would be appreciated. I'm the type of people who seek the starting point and then everything becomes as easy as pie.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I actually got myself together and completed it (supposedly).

"The first week was the easiest. I was very interested in discovering the talents I possess. That may seem like a weird statement, but it is true. There are a lot of things I don't know about myself, and this essay handed me the key to opening up and discovering more. I started out by listing ideas in bullet-point format, hoping to use and develop some of them into body paragraphs later in the essay - and that's exactly what happened.

The second and final week got a little tougher at first. Enough time is the key to a well-structured, organized essay, but I unfortunately lack the sense of time. I wrote around a page and a half in the first week, and I was happy, and that led to me getting lazy. Several mid-terms in other courses also played a role in me forgetting about the essay for a while. In the middle of the final week, it was about time to complete the essay, and the deadline was like a pain in the butt. I'm not the type of people who just like to wrap up and deliver, but I'm a perfectionist and by time I realized that being so is not very great. However, I also am the type of people who can write a three-page essay in just thirty minutes if I am interested in it and have a clear mind - that wasn't the case with this essay, though. But in the end I stepped up and finished it, and I am confident that it is going to satisfy your eager-to-find-out needs.

Finally, I would like to thank you for such a wonderful topic to write about, and I am confident that most of my class mates feel the same way. I didn't write it just for the grade, but also for the self-discovery. I'm sure I am going to keep this essay with me for a long time, in order to compare between myself now and myself in ten years in case I become a writer or so."

What do you think?
tmiplease 4 / 7  
I hope you mean High School freshman because I do not think that this cover letter is adequately appropriate or formal.

also played a role in me forgetting abou

this is grammatically incorrect. it should be "my forgetting about.."

I'm not the type of people who just like to wrap up and deliver, but I'm a perfectionist and by time I realized that being so is not very great.

Person. Not people. Likes. Not like.
No "but" after 'deliver.' put a semicolon instead. replace 'and' in 'and by the time' with 'but'
comma after that in "that being so"

your grammar is really wack. work on it.
if your teacher is lax maybe youll get away with it.
... that will give you sufficient information about my writing process and me in general. ---- do you see the word I changed? Now the sentence is good.

I'll make small changes here, too:
I cannot deny the fact that this has been an interesting essay and that it gave me the opportunity to start thinking deeply and discovering things...

thinking and----> discovering

Any help would be appreciated. I'm the type of people who seek person who seeks the starting point and then everything becomes as easy as pie.--- this reflects some important wisdom!

...

...the type of person who just likes to wrap up and deliver, but instead I'm a perfectionist and by over the course of time I realized that being so is not very great.

:-) Keep practicing, you are doing well!!

It's not necessarily wack.

:-)

Globalization and the internationalization of business, social networking, education, and EVERYTHING is making the world change like a kaleidoscope as it turns. Every language has several variations, and language also evolves over time. Language is a lot of symbols.

So let's open up to new variations of grammatical things... like this:
I'm sure I am going to keep this essay with me for a long time, in order to compare between myself now and myself in ten years in case I become a writer or so."

It is not quite correct, but it is not bad. It reflects a meaningful communication, and meaning is conveyed very well. But we can do this:

I'm sure I am going to keep this essay with me for a long time in order to compare my self now with my self that will exist in ten years, in case I become a writer or some professional for whom writing is important."

Home / Letters / "discovering the talents I possess" - Writing a cover letter.