Home / Letters % width   Posts: 2

A forestry graduate - motivation letter for master's studies in Europe

Harishpandey 1 / -  
Letter of Motivation

My name is Harish Pandey, and I'm a forestry graduate. I work as a project assistant with Sustainable Green Initiative Pvt. Ltd. In my role, I collaborate with indigenous communities and other key stakeholders to implement a community-based approach for restoring degraded forest landscapes along the Brahmaputra River in Assam, India. I'm writing to express my keen interest in the Master's program in XX at the XX.

Growing up in a small hamlet in the great Himalayas, I lived very close to nature. Mesmerised by the life around me, I began observing and learning about it. With a strong interest, I pursued a bachelor's degree in forestry (B.Sc. Forestry). I later obtained a postgraduate diploma in Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) from the Indian Institute of Remote Sensing (IIRS). My academic journey has been marked by active participation in various projects, volunteering and internships to comprehend the socio-ecological challenges in the forest sector. During my undergraduate years, I worked as a research intern in the Green India Mission (Nationally Determined Contributions) In central India. There, I observed the vital role of fuelwood as the primary energy source for rural households. However, the relentless extraction resulted in forest degradation, disproportionately affecting marginalised communities. To further understand the nature of ecology in depth, I focused on understanding the Himalayan ecology and its response to rising temperatures. After completing my undergraduate degree, I worked on various landscapes to expand my knowledge across different ecosystems. Some of the work includes documenting the diversity and distribution of birds and butterflies in the Mussoorie Wildlife Sanctuary, participating in mangrove forest restoration initiatives in ecologically sensitive and endangered landscapes of the Sundarbans deltas, and contributing to forest landscape restoration initiatives to rewild and restore the floodplains of the Brahmaputra river.

Having worked across various biogeographic regions, I have witnessed the rapid changes in pristine forests caused by habitat fragmentation and inadequate forest management practices, leading to disrupted ecosystem services and increased conflict between humans and nature. To address some of these challenges at a landscape level, I aim to acquire knowledge and skills in effective and inclusive forest management practices. The master's program, with a strong emphasis on sustainable resource management of tropical forests and understanding the ecological functions influencing forest biodiversity at various levels, inspired me to enrol. Furthermore, the specialisation in YYY and focus on ecosystem analysis and designing systematic forest inventory will equip me with the necessary skills to develop comprehensive forest management and land use plans for natural resources management. In addition, the emphasis on forest governance and economics, combined with project planning skills, will allow me to interact with key actors shaping policies and decision-making in tropical and international forest regimes. This will empower me to promote forest stewardship through inclusive forest management practices. The master's program will also provide an excellent opportunity to network with forestry practitioners and researchers at different stages and gain hands-on expertise at the end of the thesis project.

Once I have earned a master's degree, I will focus on engaging in conservation biology and restoration ecology. I also aspire to specialise in developing forest working plans and wildlife conservation plans in a mosaic of natural landscapes and assessing forest resources to ensure sustainable utilisation. Furthermore, while working alongside local communities, I recognise the significance of global governance in addressing issues like climate change, and forest stewardship. I'd like to work on drawing the attention of the global communities, with a focus on addressing socio-ecological challenges in developing nations. I want to contribute to global initiatives that promote sustainability, safeguard biodiversity, and empower local communities through nature-based solutions ultimately facilitating a harmonious coexistence between nature and humanity.

I am privileged to be considered for admission to the XX. The rich academic legacy and scientific tradition of the University of XX will undoubtedly drive my academic career forward.

Sincerely,
Harish P.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15168  
Harish, only paragraph 3 is useful in this case. That is the only aspect that has references to your motivation for study. I strongly suggest that you develop your revised motivational letter around the information in that paragraph. The first 2 and last 2 paragraphs do not fit in reference to a motivation. The motivation should relate to what you want to study and why you want to study at this university. There should be a separate paragraph, but still related to your motivation to study in Europe. How does Europe lead in terms of achievements in relation to the concern that you have? These are the aspects of the motivational letter that the reviewer will be interested in.

Home / Letters / A forestry graduate - motivation letter for master's studies in Europe
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: