Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

Letter to the Head of xxxx Group

shad81 2 / 3  
Hello everybody,

some weeks ago I applied for a postdoc position. The application was evaluated positively. however I have to cancel my application. so I am going to send the following letter to the head of that group. But first I would like to make sure that it's grammatically correct.

Also, any suggestion/comment to improve the content of the letter is welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Regards, Sara
*******************************
Dear xxxxxx,

First of all, sorry for not responding sooner.

Unfortunately, I have to cancel my postdoc request and I do apologize for that.

In fact, couple of weeks ago, I decided to look for another postdoc position in an academic group, due to some unacceptable issues that I am experiencing right now .However my boss somehow ensured me that the problems would be solved soon, and asked me to continue especially because I am advising a PhD student now. As a respect to him, I will continue for the moment.

However during my postdoc, I have the chance to join another research group as a fully funded visiting researcher for a period of maximum 1 year. so during 2013 I will contact you again to inquire about the possibility of joining your group as a visitor. In meantime, I will continue reading your articles and being inspired by you!

Best regards and happy 2013,
***********************************
mintsnapple 2 / 2 1  
It's good, just a few things though:

Should be more formal, like "Firstly, I apologize for not responding sooner."

Should be something like "Unfortunately, I have to cancel the postdoc request I made". Just so you're not redundant with apologizing.

As a respect to him, I will continue for the moment.

Should be "In respect to him, I am deciding to continue with my current position."

However during my postdoc

Take out "However".

so during 2013 I will contact you

Make it sound more formal by saying something like "In 2013, I will contact you..."

In meantime

Should be "In the meantime"
Dear xxxxx,

First I wish to thank you for offering me the postdoc position at your esteem institution. However, due to some unexpected reasons at my end, I am now compelled to forgo this opportunity. I also do apologize for my delay in informing you about this development.

Home / Letters / Letter to the Head of xxxx Group