Home / Letters   % width Posts: 2

Motivation Letter for Master's Degree in Computer Science at University

DaFabian 1 / -  
Motivation Letter

To whom it may concern,

In the realm of the Internet of Things (IoT), the art lies in linking ordinary objects to the Internet, creating a specific solution to a specific problem, and decision making based on the data. It is my pride to contribute to the unfolding story of IoT development.

I am Dandy Fabian, an Electrical Engineering graduate from Institut Teknologi Bandung. I am currently working in the IoT network deportment as a Solution architect, and I aim to pursue higher education at the University of Twente.

My educational journey began with my bachelor's thesis research, focusing on creating a device to address government regulations. The regulation specified the need for users to monitor peatland water levels, correlating with preventive wildfires for nature sustainability agenda. This project required developing a resilient IoT device for harsh environments, and I successfully implemented a LoRaWAN network, which was relatively unknown in Indonesia at that time. This experience taught me that a single IoT solution could contribute to the sustainability agenda established by the government. This led me to pursue further knowledge and experience in sustainable IoT.

After completing my academic pursuits, I continued my career with an international IoT network provider, specifically focusing on unlicensed public networks known as LoRaWAN. I successfully pioneered the deployment of LoRaWAN networks in 220 cities, marking the first public IoT infrastructure in Indonesia. Subsequently, I was promoted to become a solution architect, responsible for integrating our network technology with our partners' solutions. This role broadened my knowledge of IoT's role in sustainability, but it also made me realize that to achieve that, I needed network knowledge beyond what I currently have.

In my home country, Indonesia, technology is often imported, including IoT network solutions, with many coming from European countries, including the Netherlands. After extensive research, I found the University of Twente with its computer sciences master's program, specializing in internet science and technology. This program is the only one in the Netherlands that offers a curriculum aligning with my interests and plans. What further sparked my interest in this program is the opportunity to conduct research in the Pervasive Systems Group. This research group focuses on creating IoT solutions that lead to a sustainable world, aligning with my goals. The ability to do an internship as part of the program also interests me, as I firmly believe in applying the knowledge gained in real-world working environments.

As a candidate, I possess a diverse skill set and qualities aligning with the program's objectives. My hands-on experience with LoRaWAN IoT network deployment challenges will be an asset in identifying deployment needs with a focus on sustainability. Furthermore, I plan to write a specific thesis on 'Implementing Multiple IoT Network Usage for Sensor Sustainability Analysis,' aligning well with the Pervasive Systems Group's vision. I aim to complete this thesis research under the guidance of Prof. Dr. P.J.M. Havinga, who has deep experience in IoT network research.

Upon completing my degree, I aim to leverage my networking and university resources to secure a position with esteemed companies in Europe, including Elsevier or Ericsson. Here, I plan to learn how to fully utilize my knowledge in developed countries, creating standards and products of the highest quality. In the long term, I plan to use the invaluable experience, connections, and knowledge acquired to establish an IoT company that will propel Indonesia's role in sustainability.

I am grateful that the admissions committee at the University of Twente has accepted my admission into the master's program. However, given my current financial condition, I am unable to fully finance my studies independently. With the assistance of the University of Twente Scholarship (UTS) or Kipaji Scholarship, I can continue to pursue my dream and contribute to IoT network development in Indonesia.

Sincerely,

Dandy Fabian
Dandy, remove the first and second paragraphs. Those are not relevant to the motivation. Replace those instead with paragraphs that discuss your observations of the industry and what your learning goals are. Those will comprise your motivational points which you can further enhance in the later discussion paragraphs. You can proceed to develop your revised essay from there. However, I am not sure if you should be discussing your financial hardship in the motivational letter unless you are specifically asked to do so. You see, the motivational letter is all about your eagerness to learn. The reviewer is not interested in your financial hardship at that point. If necessary, that would be discussed in a separate essay.

Home / Letters / Motivation Letter for Master's Degree in Computer Science at University