Home / Letters % width   Posts: 2

Motivation letter for Public Policy and Developmental Studies review DAAD

hamzamarwat 1 / -  
I am Hamza Razaq, currently working to eradicate educational inequity in Pakistan. Growing up
in an under-resourced community in Pakistan raised my consciousness to the systemic faults
affecting my surroundings. I was seeking an answer for myself about the deeper mechanisms of
governance and the nature of policy that shapes our society. Therefore, my quest for answers led
me to take up political science at the undergraduate level. During my undergraduate studies, I
developed theoretical expertise in democracy, public policy, public administration, governance
and state apparatus. I secured A grade in the course of Theories and Practices of Public Policy
and stood 3rd in the whole of my class with 3.6 CGPA out of 4.
My passion to create a meaningful change brought me to the leadership journey of Teach for
Pakistan. As a fellow, I have been placed in a low-income school, directly impacting 200+
students between the ages of 10-13. Introducing innovative teaching techniques and launching a
community partnership project focused on digital literacy, I managed to increase my students'
academic performance by 50% and their independent learning skills by 40%. This has been one
of the most transformative experiences in my life: looking at how the education policy is so often
disconnected from the ground realities in a low-income setting.
This led me to the PFL Hub, as a Research Intern, further in the chase for greater policy insight
at a higher level. As a Research Intern at PFL Hub, I have led an in-depth review of the
Ministry's Reading Hour and Numeracy policy in collaboration with 130+ teachers to inform
policy-making. Through this, I improved my research skills and understood better how policies
are formulated at the highest level.
My one-year work as a Development Coordinator with the Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
has provided me with practical experience in managing the public sector. I led flood relief efforts
and managed infrastructure repair projects in collaboration with NGOs, which enabled me to
steer complex public-private partnerships and emergency responses.
These diverse experiences have exposed me to systemic barriers in the Pakistan public sector
particularly in education and governance. They include poor policy designs and implementation,
policy disconnect from ground realities, institutional incompetence, and ineptness of civil
servants. One major example is the FLN policy of the Federal Directorate of Education; it was
initiated without adequate contribution and consultation from teachers, because of which its
implementation became highly problematic.
These challenges have strengthened my desire to pursue further studies in the field of public
policy and governance. It has inspired me to develop an in-depth understanding of public policy.
I find a need for exposure to various policy areas so that I can be in a better position to
understand the challenges of public policy and governance. I realize that to become an effective
civil administrator, I need further understanding of the nuances of governance, public
administration and advanced policy analysis.
I am applying for the DAAD Helmut Schmidt Program to nurture in me a greater and more
nuanced understanding of the issues of public policy and work out effective strategies for
sustainable change in Pakistan.
Post-graduation, I aim to apply the enhanced skills in policy analysis, public administration,
governance and ethical leadership in my role in the Pakistan Civil Service. The DAAD Helmut
Schmidt Program aims at training scholars for leadership in development and I will be a
beneficiary of such support. It will be instrumental in equipping me with these skills. It will
prepare me to serve effectively in the leadership ranks for the development of Pakistan. Within
five years, I intend to contribute towards at least two major policy reforms in education,
impacting at least 10,000 kids directly in areas.
My first choice would be the Master's in Public Policy at the University of Erfurt's Brandt School
of Public Policy. This program aligns perfectly with my long-term goal of contributing to
impactful public policy reforms in Pakistan. Especially, modules of Public Administration and
Management will help me immensely in achieving the goal of working as a civil servant in
Pakistan. Moreover, I also feel an inclination towards the idea of ethical leadership, which is
really needed in the public sector in Pakistan. The third semester, most importantly, presents the
opportunity for an exchange semester at the Department of Public Policy, CEU in Vienna, which
will fold just aptly into my goal of gaining international exposure and having varied experiences
in learning.
My second choice would be MA Development and Governance, University of Duisburg-Essen.
The reason I list this course as my second choice is simply because of its relatively short
duration. What really interests me is the course of Comparative Policy Analysis. This course will
further develop my skills in analyzing and comparing governance practices and in the
development of effective, contextually appropriate policies within Pakistan. I am also interested
in the research by Professor Dr. Andreas Blätte in areas of political control and multi-level
governance. The course will strengthen my ability in designing and implementing policies for
addressing development challenges at the local level in Pakistan.
In terms of volunteering, I have been involved in EYEO to promote education in our village for
nearly five years through free tuition, career counseling, and study circles. Additionally, I have
volunteered as a campus coordinator with the Blood Donation Society of Pakistan. These roles
have sharpened my leadership, empathy, and teamwork skills.
I believe that these interpersonal skills along with strong academic background and three years of
professional experience makes me a best candidate for DAAD Helmut Schmidt Program. It will
move me one more step closer to my goal of becoming an effective change-maker in the public
sector in Pakistan.
Thanks for considering my application.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15168  
You have mnade the same error that the other DAAD applicants make when writing a letter of motivation. The paper you developed is a personal statement instead. It lists an expanded version of your resume, rather than explaining your profession, academic, and personal motivations for applying to the scholarship program. There is a lack of clarity in your presentation. If you are focusing on public policies related to education, then you should clearly show a motivation in relation to your current work. Do not go back to your earliest days of study or your experiences during that time. You are already applying for a masters course. The reasons should therefore, be based on your current exposure and experiences on the job. Whether this is going to be in the realm of public policy or education is your call. There is no need to cite the professors you hope to study under, that is not a strong motivation to choose a course. Avoid all references that sound like you are just explaining your resume, your transcript of records, and your personal statement. It would be best if you wrote a new essay instead.

Home / Letters / Motivation letter for Public Policy and Developmental Studies review DAAD
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: