Home / Letters   % width Posts: 3

My tryst with technology - motivation letter for Erasmus Degree in Medical Imaging and Application

ks1419 1 / -  

application essay

My tryst with technology started in third grade when we were first introduced to the world of computers via the LOGO programming language. The fact that typing just a handful of lines could make it perform some fascinating tasks, caught my curiosity. My affinity for technology and gadgets only grew with time as I saw the process of evolution of technology from the nascent stage of landline phones to present-day smartphones. Backed by this genuine curiosity in the sphere of gadgets, I enrolled myself for an undergraduate course in Electronics and Communication Engineering at xxx College, a premier engineering institute of India.

During my college, I acquired theoretical and practical knowledge of subjects like Computer Programming; Mathematics; Microprocessor and Applications; Embedded Systems; Signals and Systems; VLSI CAD; Digital Signal Processing and Digital Image Processing among others. I consistently remained among the top students in my class and graduated with a CGPA of 8.37/10.00. The assignments included in the ECE curriculum involved the study of the latest research, through which I was able to gain knowledge regarding the latest developments around the world. During one such assignment in the fifth semester, I read an article on object detection and segmentation. My curiosity was evoked upon reading the article and hence I was prompted into doing some more research on the same. This introduced me to the field of image processing and computer vision.

To further enhance my knowledge in this field, I pursued a research internship at xxx, where I worked on the project, "Multiple Object Tracking". I started by developing a practical understanding of image processing and the application of various associated algorithms. I worked on solving the problem of occlusion in object tracking and designed a novel technique to resolve the same. A research paper I had authored on this work has been accepted for publication in, "xxx" journal. During the phase of the internship, I developed an understanding of the endless scope of possibilities associated with this field.

Cameras and images are very crucial to the present-day evolution of technology. Consequently, computer vision and image processing find their applications in almost every other field like security, medicine, self-driving cars, manufacturing, agriculture, etc. Medical image analysis and assistive human aids were the areas of image processing to which I was the most attracted. In keeping up with this learning odyssey, I opted to base my capstone project on similar lines. Myself along with my group was able to develop 'SmartEye", under which we built an aid for the visually challenged, enabling them to read text written on a paper, find objects in a room and avoid obstacles while walking, with the help of a voice-based interactive interface. This project involved the application of fundamental concepts of sensors, image processing, computer vision, and neural networks.

The experience and knowledge gained from my undergraduate projects and internship have motivated me to pursue a master's degree in the field of image processing. The application of image processing in healthcare is the area that excites me the most and promises great growth potential. However, there are not many master's programs focussed on this area of expertise. MAIA Master program is one of the few exemplary programs which focusses on medical image analysis. The structure of the program is very well designed and the courses cover all the concepts from basics to advanced level. The consortium of universities offering the program are among the best in the world and it will be an honour to learn from the brightest minds in the world.

I have always strived for all-round development. This has prompted me to push myself harder, and always walk the extra mile, be it academics or extracurricular activities. I believe that this scholarship program will enforce my inclination to research and aid in building upon my technical skills. This comprehensive program offers me the platform I have been yearning for all this time to fulfil my goals. With the knowledge and the hands-on experience, I have acquired during the Bachelor's degree, I believe my candidature fits the required expectations. I shall feel highly privileged if I'm accepted for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree in Medical Imaging and Applications.
Devaii 2 / 6  
Hi! First off, I'd just like to say that this is a really well-structured essay! You introduced your first experience with technology as well as how it developed into an interest in medical imaging! Besides a few grammatical errors, I can't see anything else wrong. Good job!
The main problem with this motivational letter is that it does not signify your professional motivation for higher studies. The reviewer is not interested in your academic biography. For the motivation letter you have to explain the following:

- Your current job position
- What your duties are
- What your observations regarding your line of work are in relation to your theoretical and skill building
- How your academic goals developed from this exposure
- How these combined experiences created a solid motivation / academic goal for yourself

Since you are pursuing an Erasmus scholarship, you need to know that you are vying for a scholarship that accepts only the most qualified individuals in their fields of work. Your current presentation does not make you a contender because it is all about your undergraduate background. Since there is no professional relationship indicated in this essay, the reviewers may believe that you are not qualified for a masters scholarship at the moment.

Revise the essay by writing about your professional aspirations. I already provided the guidelines for it above.

Home / Letters / My tryst with technology - motivation letter for Erasmus Degree in Medical Imaging and Application