Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

What contrasting impact did the phonograph and the Internet have on music?

oh2ny 1 / -  
I am so lost trying to write this paper. I've been at it for days and nothing will come to me. I feel like there is a lot of information out there and my brain has been saturated and I'm overwhelmed. I have a lot of ideas but unsure of how to express them. I want to try and explain how the phonograph brought music to the home, instead of having going out and experiencing it as a social event. I also want to describe how its emergence was the birth of the music industry. And with the Internet I want to discuss how it sort of took the middleman out of music and gave control back to artist and listeners. For example, downloading songs (Napster), YouTube, and iTunes, artists can create and promote themselves now. I can list the things I want to discuss, but when I begin to try and write about it and elaborate on it my mind goes blank. Any ideas? Here is my opening paragraph:

Today music is a ubiquitous art form. As an audience we are exposed to it in ways large and small. Over time technology shapes and transforms that exposure and impacts how, why, when and what we listen to. With the emergence of the phonograph and the Internet our culture has experienced, in that span of over 100 years, a significant evolution. What the phonograph did was bring music to the people, where as the Internet gave the people the music.
trilam153 9 / 21 3  
First thing first: we usually don't write essay. But i can see you have a pretty good load of information on your mind. Usually i would suggest you pick one of them and focus, then the rest will flow.

or you can find an inspiration somewhere related to your subject. Phonograph is old, so i would say try to listen to Jo Stafford or Mozart, perhaps some feeling may come.

Home / Research Papers / What contrasting impact did the phonograph and the Internet have on music?