Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Different forms of Diabetes Mellitus that a person can be affected by.

shamus7555 1 / -  

Diabetes Mellitus

Diabetes Mellitus is a manageable and curable condition, in which you can combat with medication. There are 3 main types of diabetes that a person can be affected by. The others are congenital or inherited diabetes in which case is very rare. You have your first, Type 1 Diabetes.

Type 1 diabetes is where your body is not providing your body with any insulin (sugar made by the Pancreas) and your body attacks the pancreas and the cells that make the sugar to render in useless. This can be managed with shots of insulin and lifestyle changes. In this aspect, there are a lot of different types of shots in which one would take to manage type 1 DM. There are short acting, long acting, intermediate acting and rapid acting drugs, as well as combination drugs for more complicated diabetes. While Type 1 DM is less infamous, Type 2 DM is just as bad.

Type 2 diabetes is where your body doesn't make insulin well enough to maintain homeostasis (balance within the body.) This is usually a problem with middle aged and older people. This is the most diagnosed and treated type of diabetes. This can be managed with oral medications, and it also depends on which medication reacts better with your body, because no patient is ever the same. Some of the drugs used to combat type 2 DM, are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, biguanides, dopamine agonists, DPP-4 inhibitors, gulagon-like peptides, meglitinides, amongst a copious amount of different types of medications to manage the progress of type 2 DM. These are just all fancy words to describe the type of medication that is prescribed. Depending on the areas affected by the DM.

The last common form of DM is Gestational Diabetes. This affects some pregnant women during their pregnancy and typically goes away after the baby is born. This is monitored by testing your blood glucose and possibly taking medications as needed, however, some medications are not recommended for pregnant women due to complications or risks of side effects. It honestly just depends on the patient. This is a little harder to manage because any medication that is administered to the mother, is also administered to the fetes. This can and is very dangerous and needs to be monitored carefully. Speaking of medications and administration of the medications, There are copious amounts of different kinds of medications for DM it's not funny.

There are different kinds of medication to manage the worsening of Diabetes Mellitus (DM). There are shots in which you can take that can be administered by yourself or a doctor and is called NovoLog or Novolin. This type of medication administers the Insulin, subcutaneously (in the abdomen.) This type of medication is taken in the subcutaneous layer of the skin which is done by a shorter needle that is forced into the skin just far enough to puncture the first layers of skin. This is then slowly absorbed into the body and can definitely leave bruising and over some time, can make the skin where injected very sensitive to pain. There are of course, a lot of different forms and uses for certain medications as listed previously. The other is a pill such as Metformin, or Glyset. This would be the medication to treat type 2 diabetes. For type 2 DM, it's a little different, but the same in some aspects. There are multiple different types of medication used for different people for the same disease. These medications depend on the part of the pancreas it is affecting or something else happening with the blood and how it transports oxygen and glucose through the body.

Given all of the different kinds of medications and types of Diabetes, there are many different approaches and tests to go about combating the disease. There are pills, shots, lifestyle changes, and many other forms of science to help rid the body of the disease or manage the illness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Works Cited
"Gestational Diabetes and Pregnancy" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Page last reviewed: September 16, 2015. Page last updated: September 16, 2015. cdc.gov/pregnancy/diabetes-gestational.html

"What is Diabetes?" Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National diabetes statistics report: estimates of diabetes and its burden in the United States, 2014 website. cdc.gov/diabetes/data/statistics/2014StatisticsReport.html Updated May 15, 2015. Accessed August 18, 2016.

"Medications for Diabetes Mellitus" National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine. Page last reviewed: September 16, 2015. Page last updated: September 16, 2015 ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0024704/
garibari 2 / 8 2  
@shamus7555

Can I ask what type of assignment this is so I can help you out more?

Try to avoid using words like "you" and "your" in your essays. Overall, you have problems with wordiness, formality, and overall, the structure of your essay. However, the information is there! More can always be added, though! When typing numbers, write out the word, don't just use the character. When introducing an acronym, add it after the word that you are shortening i.e. "Diabetes Mellitus (DM) is a manageable and curable condition"

Your parallel structure needs work.

Mostly, everything is there, but nearly every sentence can be worded better than it is in its current state. For example:

"Diabetes Mellitus is (...) condition, in which you can combat with medication." change to "that can be combated with medicine"

"Type 1 diabetes is where your body is not providing ... " change to

"Type 1 diabetes occurs when the pancreas does not create enough insulin to match a body's demands."
Will, a peer reviewed article such as this still requires the same information be placed in it as a research paper. So the first point of discussion for your peer review should be, what is it about? It can't be something as simple as just defining the different Diabetes types. what is your purpose? Is this a peer review for a previously written article that dictates a new course of treatment applicable to all 3 types of diabetes? It doesn't seem that way. This is just a definition essay at this point that does not clearly state what you are reviewing and why we should care about it.

In writing a peer review, you have to first indicate what the title of the article you are reviewing is, who wrote it, when it was published, and where. After that, you should explain the relevance of the article for a particular target audience. Then, you offer your opinion regarding the content of the article. Highlighting certain instances using in-text citations in support or contradiction of your opinion. I do not see anything that would qualify this as a peer review at the moment.

Maybe your professor has given you a specific set of questions to respond to in the development of your peer review? That would explain why your peer review has this particular presentation slant. If you have guide questions, you need to provide those so that I can accurately review your work in relation to your professor's expectations.

Home / Research Papers / Different forms of Diabetes Mellitus that a person can be affected by.