Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 3

Need some help with research "Comics in Education"

Murdoc113 1 / -  
Hi
I'm in a process of writing a long-term paper for my writing class. Actually, I'm still looking for some material to read before. The topic that I have chosen is "Comics in Education". I want to mainly focus on the use of graphic novels for teaching/learning English (both EFL and ESL) but I will be happy to mention other school-subjects and types of comics as well.

Do you know maybe some books or articles regarding the topic? It would be great if you could help me find some material for research.
Well, to tel you the truth, the best advice I have for this is to google it. You'll find everything there is to be found. This topic is very important, and I think it is the sort of thing that deserves a dynamic approach. What comes to mind fo me is that comics are becoming less popular than they were when this idea was formed... and now there are other equivilents that you should embbrace in your paper -- video games in education, for example. Does a transition need to be made to apply the same principles to video games now that they are more popular than comic books?

Or maybe you take a pluralist standpoint and say that not all kids are motivated by comics, and not all kids are motivated by video games, so educators need to tailor their approach to each unique individual. I hope this helps you to get ideas for your paper!!
Comics are all about archetypes and invented mythologies, so that gives you a couple of subjects they could be very useful in teaching. If you wanted to look at how they would be useful in teaching English, I'm not sure what you could write. I mean, they do teach new words, and may even have some vocabulary that students wouldn't have encountered before, but probably not as much as an actual novel. But maybe that's an advantage -- they're easier to interpret if English isn't your first language?

Home / Research Papers / Need some help with research "Comics in Education"