Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

To Scratch or Not to Scratch? That is the Question

crsaunders1 1 / -  

It is hard to say whose opinion is right and whose opinion is wrong. When given the option, most people travel done the road with the majority. Opposing the majority can be too difficult and messy. When it comes to animals, it seems that most people try to favor the side of the animal as not to seem cold and heartless. I know that's what I've been called when I've said that my cats are declawed. Some feel so strongly about it that they start talking about it being illegal. Although Onchyectomy (declawing) is a painful surgical procedure, it should not be deemed illegal on the basis of animal cruelty.

Onchyectomy is a surgical procedure that permanently removes a feline's claws. An owner can choose to remove the claws from either the front paws or all four. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) stands by the procedure stating, "Declawing of domestic cats should be considered only after attempts have been made to prevent the cat from using its claws destructively or when its clawing presents a zoonotic risk for its owners." The three most common alternatives are soft paws; nail trims, and scratching posts. Soft paws are a hard plastic coating that is applied with glue to each nail. They allow the cat to scratch but not cause any damage to furniture. By keeping the nails trimmed on a regular basis will allow the cats to scratch but not cause any significant damage. Although this is an alternative, the owner must be aware that trimming the nails will cause the cat to scratch more often in order to sharpen the claws.

The history of Onchyectomy is important to understanding how this surgical procedure has evolved over the years. It was first started in the mid-20th century when dogfighters would use cats and kittens to train their dogs how to fight to kill. The claws were removed so that they could not harm the dogs when they went after the cats. As dog fighting became further into the spot light, veterinarians adopted the procedure and established stipulations and standard practices around it (Animal People News).

The claws of a domestic cat grow out of the distal phalanx of the toe. In order to remove the claw, the cat is put under general anesthesia and given pain medications prior to the procedure. The veterinarian may determine the exact analgesic drugs used prior to anesthesia, in order to accomplish the desired pain management based on age and other medical conditions. There are two ways to remove the distal phalanx. The first possibility is a veterinarian will use a scalpel blade and cut the ligaments and tendons around the distal phalanx, in which the phalanx is completely removed. The incision is then sealed with sutures, surgical glue or both. The other possibility is a veterinarian will use a guillotine nail clipper that will remove the ungual crest but will leave a portion of the distal phalanx attached (Fossum). For either choice, a nerve block should be performed prior to surgery by injecting a numbing agent at the sit of all four major nerve endings of the paw (Fossum). Both options are acceptable but have different complications.

Inappropriate postoperative care is the main cause of complications and pain. Analgesia should be dispensed at least 1 to 2 days after the Onchyectomy. Bandages are placed on the limbs after surgery and should be removed 12 to 24 hours after. Bandages that are too tight can cause necrosis of the paw, which requires the limb to be amputated. The bandages also need to be kept clean and dry, otherwise, may result in an infection at the incision site. Lastly, shredded paper should be used in place of kitty litter for 2 weeks, so that the litter does not imbed in the incisions. This impaction can cause infection and another surgery. Just 2 days ago, I had to monitor anesthesia for a declawed kitten that was given clay kitty litter. Every incision had to be opened, cleaned and then sutured closed again. If owners do not follow proper postoperative instructions, then complications are inevitable. This could happen with any type of surgery.

A common postoperative complication of the nail clipper method is for the nails to grow back when all of the germinal cells (cells that make up the nail) are not removed. Although, painful and physically unappealing, this can be easily corrected, but does require another surgical procedure. Some veterinarians have modified this method by using a scalpel blade after the nail clipper to remove the rest of the distal phalanx to make sure that all germinal cells are removed. The advantage of doing this modified procedure rather than just the scalpel blade method is that it is faster and allows for less anesthesia time.

The last complication that gets the majority of attention is the behavioral fluctuations the domestic cats supposedly go through after the procedure. Dr. Christianne Schelling states that declawed cats have behavioral issues after an Onchyectomy, such as, aggression and biting in situations that are not normally threatening (Stray Pet Advocacy). Unfortunately, the AVMA states that there is no scientific data to conclude that there is a behavioral change in cats that have been declawed. I have had 8 cats throughout my life (all of which were declawed) and none of them have had any behavioral or medical complications as a result.

Many countries have already banned the declawing procedure, as well as, many cities in California. Australia, Brazil, Turkey and most of Europe are among those who have banned it. Israel passed a bill on November 28th 2011 banning Onchyectomy. The Israeli punishment is a prison sentence of up to 1 year and a possible fine of $20,000 (Sheva). The only exception to the ban is when it is medically necessary for the cat (no medical conditions were specified). Unfortunately, there are many conflicting arguments as to whether or not declawing should be allowed.

Dr. Schelling states that Onchyectomy is mutilation and not medically necessary. She compares the paw of a cat to a human hand. The problem with doing this is that a cat's paw is used differently then that of a human hand. Humans do not walk on their hands, however, with all that we do with our fingers, those without the distal phalanx are still capable of performing normal tasks. The act of walking, climbing, and scratching is a learned behavior. If the Onchyectomy is performed at a young age, all of those learned behaviors would be modified accordingly without the cat knowing any different. The weight barring integrity of the feline paws is not compromised as long as the pads are kept in tact (Fossum).

The AVMA stated that cats with excessive scratching behaviors are more likely to be euthanized, relinquished or even released out doors if the Onchyectomy procedure were not allowed. Dr. Schelling and other advocacy groups, however, believe that this is not an excuse for the "mutilation". Although they don't feel that this is an appropriate reason, it is still a very real one. The Maricopa County Humane Society will not accept healthy stray cats due to being at full capacity. As a veterinary technician, I see stray cats and kittens coming into the clinic several times a day and we have to turn them away or euthanize them due to not having any were to take them. If the United States were to ban Onchyectomy, there would be a larger epidemic then there already is. Those would be homes for cats would no longer be an option. There would be more strays and ferial cats. Which means more disease and fighting.

I understand the bleeding hearts out there who never want to see an animal or human in pain unless absolutely necessary. There are even those people who don't believe in modern medicine and choose to use holistic methods for medical conditions. To each there own. This should apply to Onchyectomy as well. Washington State University did a study of 163 felines undergoing Onchyectomy. The study determined that 50% of the felines had immediate postoperative complications including hemorrhage and swelling, but only 19.8% had long-term complications (Miller). All surgical procedures are painful and some, including spay and neuter, are not necessary. All pain subsides and should not be used as a reason to keep animals out of caring/loving homes. Show me significant scientific data supporting the ban on Onchyectomy but until that day, I choose to be able to make my own decision on the matter.

Works Citied

"Animal Welfare AVMA policy - Declawing of Domestic Cats." American Veterinary

Medical Association. Version 2. N.p., 1 Mar. 2003. Web. 30 July 2012.
"Declawing or Distal phalanx (digit) removal - VetInfo." Veterinary Medical Information for Dogs and Cats - Vetinfo. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 July 2012.

Fossum, Theresa. "Small Animal Surgery, 3rd Edition." 2007. Pgs. 251-254. Print.

Khuly, Patty. "Vet vs. vet on the declaw front | petMD." Pet Health & Nutrition Information & Questions | Vet Approved Diagnosis And Treatment | petMD. N.p., 13 Oct. 2009. Web. 30 July 2012.

Miller, Joan, and CFA Health Committee. "The Facts About Declawing." Welcome To Max's House Animal Rescue - Feline Health, Behavior & Nutrition. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Aug. 2012. maxshouse

MSNBC. "Cat owners face declawing dilemma - Health - Pet health - NBCNews." Breaking News & Top Stories - World News, US & Local - NBCNews. The Associated Press, 4 Mar. 2008. Web. 30 July 2012.

Schelling, Christianne. "Understanding Declawing." declawing. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 July 2012.

Sheva, Arutz. "Israel Bans Cat Declawing. Punishment: One Year In Prison, $20K | 80beats | Discover Magazine." Discover Blogs | Discover Magazine. N.p., 7 Dec. 2011. Web. 30 July 2012.

skez. "The Shocking History of Declawing & Ear Cropping." VeggieBoards - A Vegetarian Community. N.p., 13 Jan. 2010. Web. 19 Aug. 2012. veggieboards/t/108317/the-shocking-history-of-declawing-ear-cropping>.
DaniahA 1 / 2  
Nothing is wrong about what you did . declowing your cats was mainly to protect your possessions from destruction and it seems to me just like sterilization of dogs.

Home / Research Papers / To Scratch or Not to Scratch? That is the Question