Home / Research Papers   % width Posts: 2

"The world is changing" - this is my senior research paper

rock07081 2 / -  
i have not finished my conclusion. but i really need help editing it. thank you in advance

The world is changing there's not denying that. The world is moving into an era of technology where old traditions are being lost. The cell phone eliminated a need for a house phone and the iPod makes C.D. and records obsolete. It also may seem that that in our new society religion is losing its effect upon the world, but this is not true.

It is known that today's society does not revere religion is such a way as the puritan did in The Crucible (miller). The Crucible is a historical book about the puritans and the Salem witch trails. In this novel religion is the most important aspect in the villagers life and everyone was expected to be at church on Sunday. The church acted as the court and every law came from the bible. Religion may not be the most important aspect in our society but its still has a great effect.

One aspect of today's society that religion has a strong grip on is politics. It is understood that the first amendment separates religion from state. Where it states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" (Steve mount 1). Which means that congress cannot pass laws helping an establish religion and religion can play no part in politics. This clause was put into the first amendment to keep religion out of politics and it has failed to do that. Political issues like abortion and gay rights have been heavily effect by politician's religious view and religious leaders. Religions effect is even great within the education system

America has made many strides in education since the puritans. There are now laws protecting children's right to learn establish faculties for educating and new methods for teaching. Another thing that has change in education since the puritans is religions place in classrooms. Most people believe that the separation of church and state clause also extends to the school system. This is not correct; there are plenty of religious schools open to the public. That offers students a chance to study religion and other subjects side by side in classrooms.

At times, religion may seem like it is fading, but this is not the case. If fact religion still has a strong grip on the American political scene and the education system. This something that will never change no matter how much society does.

In the first amendments it states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." (Steve mount 1). But what does that mean? Many people have interpreted this clause in different ways but most politicians believe that this clause separates churches and state. They believe that religion has no effect on politics and politics have no effect on religion. But this is not true! if a person would take a closer look at politics they would see that religion and politics are tied to together in abundant proportions

Consider the issue of gay rights. In the late 1960 a movement of gay rights took off in many urban areas. Many lesbians and gays petitioned to their local politicians for the right to marry but there were faced with the same arguments that are said today. (Jerry Salon 1). Many politicians argue that gay marriage is unmoral and religiously unjust (Austin Cline1). In fact in 2007 pope Benedict wrote a 40-page letter to politics telling them that it was there "moral duty to vote against gay marriage or partnership legislation." (Tony Grew 1). This is a clear example of how religion and politics are tied together. The issue of gay rights is not the only situation where religion has played a part in politics.

Perhaps the greatest example of religion within politics is religious groups as political interest groups (Politics religion in the United States 5). There are over 15 major religious groups as political interest groups. The Christian coalition has been one the more major religious groups. Pat Robertson founded the C.C or the Christian Coalition in 1988 to preserve "traditional American Values"(the Columbia encyclopedia). Since being establish the Christian coalition has had an active role in politics; in March 2000 The Christian Coalition openly endorse George W. Bush and help sway thousands of voters in his direction (Christian head Bush1). Now in 2009 The C.C. has come together and started a petition against Barack Obama's "Freedom of Choice Act" or F.O.C.A. Freedom of Choice Act is an act that would allow abortion in every state under federal law. Many Christian coalition members claim that this act is immoral under the bible and are doing everything in their power to stop this bill from being passed. (Sign FOCA Petition)

Religion and politics will forever be tied together in abundant portions. Every issue that occurs in politic will be influenced by religion is some way. Weather it be from gay rights to the war over seas. Religion has had an effect, but religion also has effect on other things besides politics. Education and religion are deeply entwined together and can never be separated.

"Education is power," this has been said many times before by many great men.
Education is the basic building block to great future and people are educated in schools. They learn about sciences, math, and history, but most people don't realize is that religion has an effect in what they learn. Most people believe that the separation of church and state also applies in school, but this is not true! School and religion both play a major part in each other's environments.

The common misconception is that the Supreme Court band prayer and religion from public schools (Prayer and the 3). This is not true, but in 1962 the Supreme Court rule against instructed prayer towards students by a government official (prayer and the 2). This merely means that a teacher is not allowed to oppose any religious beliefs on students, but they are allowed to have discussions on the subject (prayer and the3). Many parents however still believe that religious prayer should be aloud in schools. Fortunately private schools allow this to be possible.

It's no secret that there are many religious private high schools are available to the public. In these private school students are taught religion along with normal curriculum taught at public high schools. In most cases students that attend a religious high school often have to attend prayer of some sort as well. It is also a fact that that "many public schools offer courses in comparative religion... religion in world and U.S. history."(Prayer and the 3). This means that in order for a student to get a complete education in history they will have to learn about religion. This is a clear example of how religion has and effect on schools.

The Supreme Court ruled instructed prayer has no place within public classrooms but what about after school activities. Does that ruling pertain to after school actives as well or does that ruling hold no effect once the bell rings releasing students to go home? The Santa Fe Independent School District v. Doe was a landmark case dealing with prayer within after school activities. In 2000 parents and students filed a suit against the school's policy of student led prayer of the load speaker system before every home football game (Green 3). The court later ruled that this was unjust because it imposed religious beliefs on others, but then stated that there ruling did not "impose a prohibition on... religious activity in... [After school actives or] public schools" (Green 3). So in the end religion has an effect even in after school actives.

No court can or will band religion from schools! It is fact that in order to study certain topics religion will come into play. Imaging studding the renaissance and not learning about Sistine chapel because it involves religion. Or skipping over the Christian and Muslim crusades because it involves religion. It's just not possible! It is a fact that when studying in school religion will play a part. Religion and education are tied together in infinite proportions and will never be spilt up
The world is changing; there is no denying that.

Political issues like abortion and gay rights have been heavily affected by politicians ' religious view and religious leaders. Religion's effect is even great within the education system...

Every issue that occurs in politics will be influenced by religion in some way--issues ranging from gay rights to the war over seas. Religion has had an effect, but religion also has effects on other things besides politics.

Good luck with this senior paper!!

Home / Research Papers / "The world is changing" - this is my senior research paper