Scholarship appeal letter - Financial Aid Committee

dissapointment 1 / 1  

scholarship reinstatement letter

I am writing a scholarship reinstatement letter, and would like to know if this will work or not and any kind of criticism or recommendation is more than welcomed.

Dear Scholarship/Financial Aid Committee:
I am writing this letter to appeal the loss of my scholarship (Heinicke Scholarship), due to my own negligence. I totally understand that my scholarship was not renewed because my GPA was below the required GPA of 2.5, while I got a GPA of 2.46 and I honestly believe that it was my fault that lead me to lose the scholarship, regardless of your response to this letter, I thank the committee for granting me the scholarship in the first place, as well as taking the time to read this letter

Though I hope the following reasons will make you understand about my situation. The primary reasons are the follwing. In the first semester of fall 2018, I was new to the United States of America and was unknown to the land demographics, but I overcame that and adjusted myself in your university very well. One of the things that came in my professional/ educational life was related to a medical condition which has left me blind in my left eye since I was a child and as every millennial teenager I didn't care much about the maintenance of the artificial eye, which required a lot of maintenance in the first semester. I was doing really well in the first semester, but I started having minute level pains in the structure of my left eye and due to me being low on cash and being careless I just didn't focused a lot on my eye and let it go. The pain started to get excruciating as finals came near and I knew that because my insurance won't be able to cover it, I was left helpless and hopeless, even then I continued my studies and gave the final examinations. While I was on my way to give my Engineering Graphics examination I noticed that there is blood coming out of my left eye and the pain is getting unbearable, even after that I went to give my exam but wasn't able to write a single word because I couldn't tolerate the pain and I didn't even have the option of a makeup exam as I couldn't go to see the doctor and get a medical certificate stating about my condition and my pain. Though this may seem as an excuse, but I have never complained about being partially blind and never let it get indulged into my professional life, but there are somethings that are out of your control and this was one of them.

While after my examination I started eating painkillers just so I could live with the pain and it diminished my pain to a level where I could focus on my upcoming spring 2019 semester.

While the spring semester started I was more than determined to give my best in that semester, and I actually did pretty good in all of my subjects except for Calculus-1, even though I had many opportunities to upgrade my grade to bring it to the passing line and I did actually brought it up to the passing line but then there is this mastery exam which is worth 10% of the total grade and if you get less than 85% in that exam you will lose an additional 5% of your grade, after 2 attempts on that exam I got around 70% but I was unaware that if you would take the exam 3 times you wouldn't lose your 5% extra grade and the reason that I was unaware was that our instructor did not informed the class about it, so in reality no one knew that to get the 5% without getting 85% and above in the examination you just need to attempt it 3 times and if I would have known that bit of information I would have absolutely given 3 tries in that exam and passed with a C and a CGPA of 2.5. Other than that while in the middle of the semester I heard that one of my very close friend just died and it just killed the motivation in me to do anything that helps you to function in a society, I isolated myself and went into depression, without having money for medication I was left without a choice but to complete my semester without the aid of medications and the pain of the loss of my friend.

I have improved a lot since then, I have started taking eye medications properly, as I am back in my home country and don't need insurance to pay for my medication, I have started to study for my upcoming semester and will cover around half the syllabus before the start of the upcoming semester. Other than that I have packed up my medications and made a budget for my medications that I have started saving for, I constantly meet the family of my late friend to exchange support and care for each other and to understand that their loss is bigger than mine and that its time to move forward. Most importantly I have realized that you can never indulge your personal life with your professional life and vice versa. As for my mathematics instructor I don't think I can do anything about that as she is a faculty member of your university and this responsibility falls on the administration of XXX, but I still believed that only if she would have informed me fully about the condition of mastery exam I would have gotten a GPA of 2.5, excluding the other circumstances I have experienced.

I can assure you that I will raise my GPA a lot this semester and would only like for you to give one more chance for this upcoming semester and I promise you that you won't be disappointed by my progress in my GPA and my studies. As it is a big enough proof that I improved a lot in this semester as compared to my first semester and this improvement is ongoing.

I am attaching the medical documentation that proves that I am partially blind and sometimes have issues in that artificial eye. If you need anything else just contact me through my email.
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@dissapointment
Hi there. I wish you the best of luck in applying for this appeal. I'll do what I can to provide you with writing feedback to help you.

I think that the introductory paragraph of your essay can still be improved if you focus more on curating information with a structured approach. While it was great that you had acknowledged your mistakes, you should try to initially incorporate the technicalities of the repurcussions. For instance, try citing clauses apart from the GPA regarding the scholarship that would prove that you would still fall under the premises.

While the second paragraph was packed with details retelling the events, I would suggest that you try to make your explanations more concise. While you may feel the urge to explain everything, it would be more professional for your letter to prioritize which portions are truly necessary for the committee to assess your situation.

Home / Scholarship / Scholarship appeal letter - Financial Aid Committee