"To become a teacher" - Why do I want to be a member of City Year corps?

ramei 1 / 1  
I am answering an essay question for an Americorps program called City Year:

"City Year unites young people of all backgrounds for a year of full-time service, giving them the skills and opportunities to change the world. As tutors, mentors and role models, these diverse young leaders help children stay in school and on track, and transform schools and communities across the United States..."

"Why do you want to be a member of City Year corps? In 300 words or less."

NOTE: I would like to highlight [i]a lot[/i] that I speak Spanish and want to work with ESL students. This is because I want to be placed in the Los Angeles branch. Here is what I have:

I want to become a teacher. City Year would be an opportunity to see what it takes to be an excellent educator. I can see firsthand how inner-city schools are struggling to provide a quality education for every child due to lack of funding. One driven teacher can positively change a child's life. Teachers are very influential. This is especially critical during preteen years when a child begins to form his identity.

I currently volunteer in an elementary afterschool program with at-risk children. One boy has a tendency to get in trouble during class. At first he was very disrespectful to me and his classmates. I soon realized that he was behind his classmates in his reading level. He most likely did not have an adult in his life that read to him. I decided to read the Happy Feet picture book to him. I was quite surprised at how much one picture book had entertained him! It was satisfying to be able to see why he was misbehaving, rather than look at him as "at-risk."

My goals in education extend beyond the US. In 2009 I volunteered with Amigos de las Americas and Save the Children. I taught classes to primary school children in Honduras. This was an amazing experience, and inspired my dream: to work as a teacher with education-focused, non-profit organizations in developing nations.

I love to speak Spanish and teach English. Through City Year, there will be a need for volunteers that can communicate in Spanish. I have tutored Spanish speakers in English. They tell me that my explanations are very clear and helpful. I do it well because I always try to view my language from their perspective.
I can learn more about how inner-city schools are struggling to ...

I currently volunteer in an elementary afterschool program with 'at-risk' children.

My goals in education extend beyond the US. In 2009 I volunteered with Amigos de las Americas and Save the Children. I taught classes to primary school children in Honduras. This was an amazing experience, and inspired my dream: to work as a teacher with education-focused, non-profit organizations in developing nations. ---This is great!

I love to speak Spanish and teach English. ---You should mention maybe, whether English or Spanish is your first language.

Good luck and have fun!

:)

Home / Scholarship / "To become a teacher" - Why do I want to be a member of City Year corps?