Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

Catalyst of Change: Pursuing AI Dreams from Mexico to Korea (GKS scholarship)

Byf1nd 1 / -  

personal statement

Hi guys I will apply for the GKS scholarship, via university what do you think of this personal statement? I am open to constructive criticism.

In the heart of the poorest state in Mexico, nestled within a small town where dreams often collide with the harsh realities of life, I stand before you as (my name). I am not merely a high school graduate, but a dreamer fueled by an unwavering passion for artificial intelligence. AI isn't just a career choice; it's my calling.

For a young woman like me, the idea of studying AI once felt like an improbable fantasy. The prospect of studying abroad in Korea seemed even more distant. However, thanks to the Global Korea Scholarship (GKS) and Kookmin University, these dreams have now evolved into tangible realities. My lifelong aspiration of experiencing Korea has transformed from surreal to within reach.

Two profound motivations have guided my journey. First, I was born into a family where dreams struggle to take flight. Second, I draw inspiration from the remarkable figure of Arthur Samuel, an icon in AI who embodies the qualities of resilience, adaptability, vision, and an unshakable determination to make things happen. Like Samuel, I believe that continually reinventing oneself and nurturing an innovative, self-improving mindset can pave the way for transformative collaborations between Mexico and Korea, exemplified by initiatives like GAIA.

My quest began with a book on AI, a gift from my grandfather. This led me down a rabbit hole of learning about machine learning, neural networks, Alan Turing, and robotics. Motivated by this newfound knowledge, I sought out online resources to grasp the fundamentals of programming using Python. My passion culminated in representing my school at the Expo Science in my city. Despite the constraints of time, I couldn't develop a program to filter fake news from real ones for the competition. Nevertheless, my determination led me to present as an exhibitor in front of approximately 100 people. This experience underscored the importance of commitment, resourcefulness, and wholehearted dedication.

My journey took an unexpected turn when my stepfather passed away. His untimely death emphasized the precious, fleeting nature of life. It ignited a fierce resolve in me to seize every opportunity, follow my passions, and make a positive impact on the world. It was during this challenging time that I discovered my true passion for artificial intelligence. My stepfather's belief in my potential and encouragement to explore my interests laid the foundation for my journey into the world of AI. His memory fuels my ambition, serving as a constant reminder of the urgency to make every moment count. In his honor, I am committed to excelling in AI, a field where I believe I can contribute meaningfully.

Throughout my academic journey, I have pursued excellence, reflected in my GPA of 3.66/4. Additionally, I have actively engaged in extracurricular activities such as captaining the volleyball team and participating in local drama and soccer clubs. These experiences have honed my time management, teamwork, and leadership skills, emphasizing the importance of working together to achieve shared goals.

To advance toward my AI goals, I have pursued relevant courses, including Introduction to Generative AI, Math for AI beginners (Linear Algebra), and Practical Python for AI coding.

My fascination with AI transcends the classroom. I am deeply intrigued by its potential applications in computer vision, graphics, and deep learning. I envision contributing to research in AI, robotics, autonomous driving, 3D/HD mapping, AR, and more. My aim is to play a role in the development of spatial data-based mapping algorithms, robotic autonomous driving, AR navigation, and other cutting-edge AI advancements.

Studying in Korea promises not only professional growth but also personal enrichment through exposure to diverse cultures, environments, and educational paradigms. I intend to be a bridge between my Mexican background and the Korean experience, fostering cross-cultural understanding and dialogue through cultural exchange events, discussions, and collaborations. My previous involvement in cultural exchange activities, such as being a member of the K-influencer class and promoting Korean culture in Latin America, exemplifies my commitment to this endeavor.

Furthermore, I am eager to actively participate in AI-related clubs, research groups, and projects at Kookmin. Collaboration and knowledge sharing are the cornerstones of progress, and I anticipate contributing to cutting-edge AI research while learning from the brightest minds in the field.

During my tenure at Kookmin, I plan to enhance my leadership skills through involvement in student organizations and community service projects. Giving back to the community is a personal passion, and I aspire to participate in initiatives that bring positive change both on and off campus.

Kookmin University represents a transformative chapter in my life. It offers exposure to Korea's rich culture, a rigorous academic environment, and an innovative spirit that will undoubtedly shape me into a more resilient, adaptable, and globally conscious individual. I look forward to evolving not only as a student but also as a global citizen during my journey at Kookmin.

In conclusion, my journey from a humble Mexican town to the pursuit of an AI degree is not solely about personal growth; it's about the broader impact I hope to have on Mexico, the world, and the AI field. My admission to Kookmin University is an opportunity to excel academically and contribute actively to the university community. My goal is to leave a lasting impact, fostering collaboration, cultural exchange, and positive change during my time at Kookmin and beyond.

As I stand at the threshold of this remarkable journey, I am profoundly grateful for the Global Korea Scholarship and the privilege of joining Kookmin University's dynamic community. My commitment extends beyond the acquisition of knowledge; it encompasses innovation, collaboration, and cultural exchange, values shared by both Kookmin University and Korea.

My journey from a humble Mexican town to the heart of AI research at Kookmin University embodies the belief that dreams, nurtured with dedication and passion, possess the power to transcend borders and change lives. I carry with me the hopes and aspirations of my family, my community, and my homeland.

I am poised to seize every moment, push the boundaries of AI, collaborate with brilliant minds, and create a future where technology knows no limits. With unwavering determination and a heart overflowing with gratitude, I embark on this path not as an individual, but as a representative of the limitless potential within each of us.

Together, as a global community, we will shape a world where AI becomes a beacon of hope, bridging divides, solving challenges, and turning the impossible into reality. Kookmin University, South Korea, Mexico, and the world, let us embark on this journey hand in hand. Through education, innovation, and dedication, we can illuminate the path to a brighter and more equitable future for all.

Thank you for your belief in me. Together, we will redefine what is possible.

Home / Scholarship / Catalyst of Change: Pursuing AI Dreams from Mexico to Korea (GKS scholarship)