It challenge and process to discover people potentials, leadership essay

Hadeer 5 / 13  

the green architecture - my mission

A leader must be able to enlighten the future with new ideas and to transform these ideas to shape a new world of tomorrow, it challenge and process to discover people potentials, and direct them into the right direction.

The most experimental for my leadership skills was when my company got a project as a consultant to restore an existing building and improve the environmental issues that were already applied on it, in-order to improve building's efficiency. My manger recommended me to follow up the work, because he was aware of my interest about green architecture. I was just a fresh graduate with a limited experience and any mistake would cost the company a great loss. I started contacting some engineers who have an experience in this field whom I have known during undergraduate; they guided me and made me realize some important points.

On the next day, I started working according to the plan; I mingled with Foreman, contractor and trade's staff. They used to share a lot of stories about their experiences with green buildings, their frustrations about the quality of construction on the green buildings, and how the consultants never valued their concerns. Although the building looked like great, but it was very bad for the Operations and Maintenance. The building generated ten times more work orders than any other building, the staff was so frustrated.

I realized that I needed a different mechanism to motivate my staff to provide input and to engage them effectively with courage and collaboration. A one day workshop on how to improve construction in the green buildings could be a good solution. I discussed the idea privately with the facility managers and the trade's staff to introduce my plan to them and to set the vision, allowing people to communicate and share their perspective without being challenged by their superiors. They agreed on the idea and supported me to move a step forward.

During the workshop everyone wrote his /her own creative ideas regarding this topic, and then we read them. A bunch of great ideas came out supported by their peers.We dissected and analyzed every idea and then sorted and compared them. I started drawing a mind map and offering my suggestions for actions based on the mind map.I kept my ears open for counter suggestions.It made people feel that I was following them as well while I was leading them.

After the workshop they were responsive to the mission and were so efficient. What came out of the workshop, we got a report include the needs for civil work, building materials, electrical work and commissioning.The report was drafted, edited, vetted and used for the project. It was a grand success. During construction they were very supportive and we finished our mission successfully. The accomplished work was welcomed with a great encouragement from the supervision consultant. I was happy as I was able to make a difference and I have become more confident and dependent on my leadership skills.
Xti02 5 / 16 9  
Dear Hadeer

Apart from some grammar issues (the first sentence especially), I quite like your essay. You explain a good example of how you used your leadership skills to handle a difficult situation and achieve positive outcomes.

Have you held any other professional leadership positions that you could expand on? You could trim a bit of the details in your current lengthy example and perhaps add a second situation where you had to lead in a different way, in order to better showcase your skills.
OP Hadeer 5 / 13  
@Xti02
can you help me to correct the grammar issues ?

''Have you held any other professional leadership positions that you could expand on?''
I have another one but i prefer to focus on just one example

thank you for your feedback
Hadeer, there is no real ledersgip skill involved int his essay. There is not even a direct reference to influencing in it. What you did is not leadership work but rather Human Resources work. You accomplished the task of assessment and trouble shooting but you referred the final solution to people higher in rank than you. Therefore, you only made suggestions to resolve the issue, you did not decide on the proposed solutions and implement the needed changes, someone else did. So that is not a leadership skill on your part. Note that you had to discuss the ideas with facility managers and trade staff, they had to agree with your suggestion before it could be implemented. Therefore, you were not a leader in this instance. You were only an adviser on a "take it or leave it" scale. Hence, there is also no influencing skill to be found, even after numerous readings of this essay. No. this essay is not pertinent to the given prompt. You need to write a new one that is better at showing off how you managed a team situation and influenced a solution, without referring to a higher authority. The buck has to stop with you at all times in order to make your essay work in terms of relevance to the prompt.
OP Hadeer 5 / 13  
i try to edit it and write a new one according to your feedback, i hope you can give me your feedback as soon as possible please

A leader must be able to enlighten the future with new ideas and transform these ideas into a reality that helps shape a new world of tomorrow. He must be able to guide people through their potentials and lead them into the right direction.

One of my most effective experiences in my leadership skills was when my company was offered to consult a restoration project to an existing building as well as improving the environmental issues surrounding it; in order to improve that building's efficiency. Due to my interest in green architecture and environmental issues, my manager recommended me to follow up the work, but as a recent graduate, I had minimum practical experience. Therefore, I started contacting some senior engineers with major experience in this field who gave me some advice on how to deal with the problem on-hand.

While working on the project, I found a major issue regarding one of the supporting walls, as it has partially overlapped with one of the columns. I decided to return to the engineering consultant of the project but found out that he has been relieved of his duties and no one has been assigned to replace him yet and I had to make a quick decision. I checked the drawings of similar projects and found out that I had to redesign the buildings in a different and unusual way. It was a risky decision that needed to be done with accurate measures and hard work from everyone. I realized that I needed a different mechanism to engage the working team to collaborate in solving the problem. So, I made a half-day workshop with the working team to present them with my ideas to solve the problem, as well as reviewing the similar problems in other projects. Also, I started drawing a mind map and offered my suggestions for actions based on the mind map to all members of the team. I kept listening to all their suggestions as well as motivating them to come up with ideas as if they were leading the situation, though it was me who was really running the strings.

On the next day, I started working according to the plan; during construction, they were very supportive, responsive and so efficient. We finished our mission successfully. The work was received with great encouragement from the supervising consultant. I was happy as I was able to make a difference and have become more confident and dependent on my leadership skills.

Home / Scholarship / It challenge and process to discover people potentials, leadership essay