Chevening will allow me to hone my leadership as I met other leaders from the Chevening community

alvin1902 4 / 7 1  

"It's never too late to learn"

I must admit, I'm a late bloomer for this aspect. I used to love works behind the stage and enjoying the freedom of not having to be responsible for anything. That is until I learn the joy of being entrusted as a division head in my university event. There were many struggles as I was forced to learn my weaknesses as a leader and I have to cover up other's weaknesses too. But I managed to successfully complete my task and use this experience as my basis to learn more about being a better leader.

Right now, I am currently in my 2nd year of my job, and I have led a few projects as the designer. Once there was a problem between our company and one of our main contractor. It was a simple misplacement of the building materials, but it blown up because the deadline is near and we can't afford even a small deviation in our time schedule. The heat goes even higher because of a miscommunication with the security guard as they feel like they're the one who must take responsibilities for the misplacement. I managed to calm the situation and came with a solution for both sides. Although because of this case the tension between the security guard and our contractor never really calmed down, it gradually gets better in times.

Recently, my Supervisor went on a study trip with a few people in our company. Me and one of my coworker is entrusted as the substitute leader for our project division. This is a new experience for me and I enjoy it deeply. I learned to consult my coworker's works and help them to improve their design. I have to admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed at the beginning because I also have to cover for others, but I managed to slowly recuperate and keep up with the pace.

In conclusion, I still need to develop my leadership skill to be a better leader and I believe that Chevening will allow me to hone my leadership as I met other leaders from the Chevening community.
evaa 3 / 11  
@alvin1902

The first paragraph is not relevant . It gives an indication of your weakness . I do not think that is a good idea .

If you have only 2 years of work experience you have to work really well on your essay which clearly shows you as an exceptional candidate as chevening criteria is min 3 years work ex.

What have you done as a leader ?? How did you manage the situation . Give example of your involvement and how you helped others .

I think you have to work a lot harder on your essay . Good luck !

A small correction .Chevening requires min 2 years work experience
Alvin, target a professional response to this essay. Clarify why you were forced to handle the situation between the contractor and the security guard. What was your leadership capacity in that instance? While you did show a leadership ability when you managed to diffuse the situation. You were not able to display the correct influencing technique because the tension between the guard and the contractor still exists. If you can somehow rephrase that to make it appear that you were able to influence both parties to let the miscommunication go as a small oversight, then that would be a better example of your influencing skills in this instance.

Now, as the substitute leader, there is no need to inform the reviewer that there were two of you doing this task. Focus only on your participation in the leadership angle. The discussion of this is too short in this paragraph. Add another conflict resolution story to this if you can or, any other story that will support your claim as a leader and influencer at least among your co-workers. That will be a good start for your new draft. Since this is an application essay, do not say "In conclusion", rather simply close the essay in a straightforward manner with "I still need to develop..."
OP alvin1902 4 / 7 1  
@evaa
so i didn't need to point out that I'm indeed come a bit late for learning about leadership?
thanks for the correction. I'm shocked at first after reading your comment that chevening requires 3 years of experience lol

thank you for your review, you made me realize my mistake for those two paragraph.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening will allow me to hone my leadership as I met other leaders from the Chevening community