Chevening Question about Chosen Universities and Future Plan

beauty60 4 / 2  
3. Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for future.

I propose to take MA Creative Writing at three universities. They are University of Birmingham, Newcastle University, and University of East Anglia. I chose those three universities in accordance with the programs they offer, their rank, and living cost. MA Creative Writing in those three universities offers a wide range of subjects across discipline before specializing in fiction, screenwriting, poetry, or playwriting. The optional modules are interesting as well. They vary from Contemporary American and European Cinema, Writing for Children and Young Adults to the Writing of Crime/ Thriller Fiction. They rank 1st, 2nd, and 5th sequentially in the Complete University Guide 2016 based on entry standards, student satisfaction, research quality and graduate prospects.

Majoring in English Education, I completed my bachelor degree in the University of Indraprasta PGRI, DKI Jakarta, Indonesia. Starting to work in Junior High School 49 Jakarta in 2006, I taught both English and Computer classes, and was thrust to develop the school website as a content writer, designer, and administrator. Being a content writer for the school website, I had been introduced the challenging world of writing and journalism. I took photos, conducted interviews, covered school events, and presented them in written forms in news stories, feature articles, or documentaries.

When I taught computer animation, I found it easy to teach animation and less easy to teach the students how to write storyline of their animation movies. There are many potential factors contributed to movie's success, yet great story and/or the quality of the script are always behind it. Thus, teaching computer animation is teaching story writing simultaneously.

I wish to proceed to a career of further study in the area of prose fiction/ the novel and screenwriting. One vital purpose of prose fiction/ the novel and screen writing have been to allow the authors to write any theme-the underlying idea, the principle and the concept, whether as primary or minor themes, they would like to develop and wish to convey to the readers/ viewers. Themes are unforgettable. They leave the readers/ viewers with something to think about after the story ends or the movie are over. This may raises to public awareness and social action.

I currently work as English teacher at Buahati Islamic High School. The students are teenagers aged 15 to 18. During the years, I did many counseling sessions. The circumstances gain my attention. I am concerned about 'unhappy teenage life'. Improving the quality of teenagers' awareness towards their unique phase of life by encouraging them to do something meaningful through prose fiction/ the novel and screen writing has shaped the upcoming days and this will color my future.
Rani, you need to individually discuss the universities based upon your own ranking your desire to attend them. Discuss your top choice first, second, then third. You an collectively discuss the reasons that you wish to pursue this masters degree but you need to double check your information because I seem to recall some of them as already having been mentioned in a previous essay for Chevening that you wrote. There must not be any duplication of content across the essays. Just keep your explanation here related to your future plans regarding becoming an author yourself. That means you have to remove the parts about your being a high school teacher and the work experience you have in it. Find a way to replace the redundant information with relevant, but not yet offered information in the essay.

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Question about Chosen Universities and Future Plan