Chevening Essay on Study in UK - I wanted to develop my country through the airport industry

sgassani 7 / 22 5  
Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future.

*Please do not duplicate the information you have entered on the work experience and education section of this form
(minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

Airport and Air Transport Management

I believe we should be the change we wish to see in this world. Due to the inadequate human resources in Indonesia's airport industry, it is actually inevitable for me to be at senior management in a short time period. By doing postgraduate study in one of these university, I wish to widen my knowledge and networking in Air Transport Industry so that I am more equipped in that position and able to bring positive cause for the industry. Since the number of person that has obtain a master degree in Air Transport subject in Indonesia is somewhere close to none, I also wish to share my knowledge and network with others, not only among airport operator companies but also with the government and other organization in air transport industry.

My first preference is to study Airport Planning and Management in Cranfield University. It is a pure postgraduate university that has very specialized major so I can expect to be learning from and with the best in the field. It also has excellent approach both in research and industry worlds. Located in the countryside would means there will be close relationship among students. A strong sense of community where everybody seems to know every other person will allow me to develop strong and extensive networking that I need. It is also the only university in UK that has specialized major in Airport study and has its own airfield. The modules cover everything that I need, from the regulation and planning, to market analysis, operation and design.

My second university of choice is Air Transport Planning and Management in Loughborough University. It ranks as the 9th in the UK for Civil Engineering by The Times Good University Guide 2017. It also has impressive list of modules. One of it, "Airport, Cities, and Development" will be the most interesting one since many of Indonesia's regions are still underdeveloped and the airport plays important role in that aspects. The Policy Planning and Design for Air Transport will be the most beneficial due to my background in civil engineering and it will be expected for me to be able to develop airport planning and design upon my return.

My third option is Air Transport Management in University of Westminster. Its Air Transport Forecasting and Market Research modules will allow me to understand more of air transport demand therefore enable better prediction of market growth hence provide appropriate airport development accordingly. It also offers Airport Finance and Strategy as an option modules that I will surely take. I do hope to turn several loss airports into profit one. Learning certain things about airlines such as its regulation, operation, or business models also will put me in better position upon coordinating with them. In the end, airports and airlines are strongly interrelated. A well-formed coordination between them will bring great benefit not only for the airport and airline business but also for the country's economy.
sfrgsn in the paragraph for the first university, you said that the course covers all the topics that you need. Yet you do not explain how you will be applying these studies in the future based upon the problems of your airport industry. I understand that you gave a highly comprehensive explanation in the opening statement. However, you are still required by the prompt to explain the future applicability of the course you are interested in studying. Without that reference, the paragraph information comes across as incomplete. Additionally, in the last university course. I believe that you did not properly format the closing paragraph. You accidentally attached it to the university discussion paragraph. So just separate the portion that starts with "Learning certain things..." as that sounds like the closing paragraph for the essay. After you complete these two changes, the essay should be ready for submission.
OP sgassani 7 / 22 5  
Thank you very much for your input. And for responding very fast. Will surely revise it as advised. Thank you :)

Home / Scholarship / Chevening Essay on Study in UK - I wanted to develop my country through the airport industry