To establish schools and hospitals in Ghana. Career plan essay for the Chevening award.

Akosuah 3 / 2  

my investment plans

As a senior clerk teller in a financial institution; Social Security and National Insurance Trust(SSNIT), I desire to take up positions in the investment and quality and risk management department as well as the strategic planning sector in the next 3 years after my post graduate degree, of the institution. SSNIT is a pension scheme and one of the highly recognized and respected in sub-Sahara Africa.

My interest is to help the sector make good investment with effectively calculated risk. This is to ensure that contributors get value for their money during their retirement period and seen better off. Investment to me is not only about springing up of businesses but building an effective and efficient human resources. Thus to add value to the lives of many people for a productive business/economy. Hence encouraging me to take up courses in human resource after post-graduate.

I describe myself as an organized, responsible, loyal and meticulous person. I am very determined and persistent as to what I set to achieve. Being an intelligent person, I believe taking investment and risk management course will help shape my analytical and critical thinking abilities. I am hoping to take courses in business advertising, networking and marketing to help sustain my investment plans.

Speaking of investment plans, I want to set up my event organizing/planning business, two years after my postgraduate course. Still working with SSNIT, I would want to buy shares in some sectors of the economy such as the energy sector(oil industry), housing sector, agriculture sector and tourism sector(hospitality/hotels). This is to build me in setting up fuel stations, building estates, production of agriculture produce and establishing world class hotels in the next 15 to 20 years of my life. In terms of agriculture I would want to be one of the leading contributor to agriculture produce in Ghana. I would want to own an investment and consultancy firm after 20 years of working experience.

After all is said and done, I would want to establish schools and hospitals to impact knowledge and improve the health of the less privileged in Ghana and Africa at large. I would want to be seen as one of the most inspiring and ambitious woman in the world, having my businesses described as the best in the world.
devpro 4 / 9 1  
@akosuah - couple of things that I noticed in your essay that you could do away with -

1. There is a whole paragraph in here that talks about your personality traits and choice of courses. Chevening application has other questions where this information can be a better fit

2. Too much information about long term goals - The essay prompt asks for post study career plans. And so if you can spend more time on how you would use your educational experience in the UK to help you plan your career immediately upon returning home and then connecting it to your 5 to 10 year career goal would be the most apt response to this question in my opinion
Janet, your personal plans for your career are very well represented in this essay. However, your love of country is not well represented because you are not indicating a desire to help your country improve its pension system through a cooperation with an existing UK government project in your country in relation to your profession or the pension system of Ghana. Do not focus so much on explaining the importance of your studies to the pension system. Rather, focus on discussing how you can collaborate with UK based organizations that have a project or advocacy related to your future career interests. That is not an option. That is a requirement. In most instances, I tell the students to first research the UK connection to their post study profession. Find the strongest link possible, the build your essay around that collaboration. Presenting your post career plans should tie directly into that research. At this point, your presentation is impressive but missing requirements. As such, it will be weakened in terms of presentation and consideration should you reach the final round of considerations.

Home / Scholarship / To establish schools and hospitals in Ghana. Career plan essay for the Chevening award.