Explain how your proposed study relates to a development need in your sector and country

Alao0702 8 / 14  

Commonwealth Home Benefit Essay

Improper waste treatment and indiscriminate waste disposal into the environment are major constraining factors frustrating sustainable development of the Nigerian environmental sector. The discharge of petroleum wastes into water bodies in the Niger Delta region, release of industrial effluents into river Kaduna in the north and the lack of central waste treatment plants are few examples of these issues. Consequently, these result in environmental pollution which threatens the health and wellbeing of the Nigerian populace. In an attempt to address her environmental problems, the Nigerian government established several waste management agencies, and made huge investments in the development of conventional but unsustainable waste treatment technologies (i.e. incineration and land filling) which have failed to yield much anticipated results. However, without the adoption of indigenous, sustainable waste treatment technologies, such as reuse and recycle, for waste management, Nigeria risks failing in her achievement of the sustainable development goals of ensuring and promoting a healthy live for its citizens, as well as the conservation and sustainable use of environmental resources for sustainable development by 2030.

An MSc in Environmental Management (Conservation) at the University of Stirling will consolidate my understanding on prior knowledge in waste treatment, equip me with the research knowledge and environmental skill sets in sustainable waste treatment technologies, which are required to address highlighted national environmental issues.

Upon returning to Nigeria, I will utilize my postgraduate skills and knowledge in a Federal Waste Management Agency by working as an environmental consultant, to investigate low-cost waste treatment methods for materials and energy production while checking domestic and industrial wastes released into the environment. The study will result in reductions in waste treatment costs and environmental contaminations, and material and energy conservation; the implementation of these results will span a five-year period. The potential benefits of the assessment for the Nigerian government will be increased wealth (for infrastructural development, poverty reduction, and employment creation), and solution to national energy needs. Nigerian citizens will benefit from living in a cleaner, safer, and healthier environment, which is in accordance with the Department for International Development (DFID) objective of creating a favorable world for people in developing countries.

Furthermore, I will offer consultancy roles to government regulatory bodies on pressing environmental problems. Specifically, I will work with the Federal Environmental Protection Agency (FEPA) in devising effective ways of curbing improper waste disposal into the environment in rural and urban communities, and planning strategies for impactful environmental awareness. I am confident that acquiring the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship will avail me the opportunity to champion this course of environmental sustainability.

An Increase in nationally-generated revenue, less environmental contamination, and significant reduction in the carbon footprints of domestic and industrial operations, are ways in which the impact of my works might be measured. In addition, I shall send quarterly progress reports, detailing the implementation level of my work to the Commonwealth Scholarship Council.
Alao, paragraph 2 doesn't help to move the essay forward. It does not really say anything of value and should be removed from the presentation. Instead, work on further developing the consultancy presentation you made. Cover a 5 year plan for this consultancy presentation and make sure that you integrate the consultancy somehow with your work at the Federal Waste Management Agency. Clarify what sort of projects you hope to promote or push with the environmental agency as a consultant. Explain why you believe that, as a consultant, the agency will take heed of your suggestions and actually promote the said solutions you will be placing before them.

In addition to that, make sure to involve the DFID in the project overseeing for your post study actions. Remember that the DFID will be the best place or department for you to coordinate with regarding the supervision and recording of the successes and failure of your post study projects. Aside from these two points for revision, I don't see any reason to alter the other content of the essay.

Home / Scholarship / Explain how your proposed study relates to a development need in your sector and country