scholarship - family relations and my achievements

Ani0924 1 / -  
They asked for family relations, my achievements. I am not sure if this essay is understanadble enough, I mean is it coherent?

Growing up in Hungary without further relatives in the country really made me appreciate my nuclear family, which members always meant a firm point in my life, telling me if I am wrong, leading me in the right way and helping me develop my own personality and interests. Each of them, my mother, father, brother has had an immense role in who I am, what are my hobbies, studies and extra curricular activities.

My mother is the kind of parent, who always have time for her two children when it comes to explaining a math problem or just playing a board game. She is the kind of person, who listens to classical music and has thoughtful discussions about the books she has read in her free time. I remember her reading bedtime stories for me before sleeping, encouraging me to write a diary, and regularly bringing me to the local library. Gradually I developed a genuine interest for books and writing, both in school and at home. I wrote the yearbook in tha last two years for our class, won a blog writing competition and participated in the final round of the Bólyai Anyanyelvi Competition several times.

She also introduced me to my first piano lesson seven years ago. Since then after uncountable performances, which she attended every time, I have come to be grateful for her. I not only found a hobby with which I can express myself and learned to value music, but also met a wonderful group of people, with whom I have learned the value of working and practicing together for several months to achieve a feeling of success and a moment of applause.

My younger brother, Bálint is the type of child, who constantly asks why no matter the topic. Watching over him since he was in nursery taught me how to explain little things from how a cartoon character escaped from the danger to harder math problems, which he could not solve. Helping him with his homework was my first experience as a teacher, which was quite useful when I started my volunteer work, where I teach Vietnamese children to English. During these occasions while I had to prepare for every single lesson, I faced difficulty and responsibility on the one hand, but established managing and presentating skills on the other.

Additionally I worked at a
Consequently I am also the class representative for volunteering work, as I understand the significance of volunteering, and would like others to acknowledge it.

My father has always been practical person. He is there if our windows need to be painted, if I need a lift to the piano lesson, that I am occasionally late for or if I can not speak English. Looking back from now, I realise how much time and work he devoted for me. In sixth grade I was one of the worst in English, and witnessing this, my father decided to learn it with me and search for opportunities that I can improve with. Eventually overcoming the obstacles of grammar in eight grade I was the seventh in the national round of English competition and won the trial of hungarian debaters, so I was selected to represent Hungary in a debating championship in Ireland.

This adventure held many novelty, as this was the first time I was really far from the people I know. I learned how to express opinions that were already in my mind, listen to dissenting ideas and to stand up and give a speech confidently to convince the judges. Moreover I was able to be in an international body of students, and hear about global issues from first hand. I have been told stories about the Arab Spring from a Tunisian girl, and get informed about the mobilizational problems in Palestine (Prawer plan) from a boy from Jerusalem, and debated topics about digital freedom. Now when I listen to the radio or watch news channels they are not meaningless words that I hear, but global issues that I grew to be more aware of.

As in Hungary Debating is not well known, I also try to envolve more people in it, and established a team to take part in a debating competition organized by a few of my friends, and which I think is a respectable initiation to spread debating in English.

While doing all these activities I do realise that sooner or later I will have to part from my family, and face the world. I believe all these experiences that they have given me are for preparing me to the future, and I would like these to have a real purpose in my life.
rolin 2 / 4  
Hi dear, after reading your article, I think it is easy to understand, well, I mean I can get to know about your parents and your brother. But just like the requirement refers to relation, I think maybe you could speak of the connection between your family instead of describing the character of every person one by one which will make the whole article more comprehensive and completed.

Well, I think the important points here are that you grew up in a different country other than your origin ( this is what implied) without having any association with your extended families and your immediate family has so much influence on you. So, I feel it is a bit overly expressed in the above. For many people, it is their family that influence their well being the most. So, my suggestion is skim the important points and shorten the above para.

Home / Scholarship / scholarship - family relations and my achievements