The fate of people with disabilities in Nigeria. Leadership and influence essay

etta90 2 / 3 1  
My Facebook friend Mark said, "we should start with the problem we want to solve in the world". In Nigeria, mortality rate for people with disability is high owing to the fact that we do not have leaders/experts who can handle such cases. I aspire to be a catalyst of change, a change that begins with me.

Being a leader does not mean we have all the answers; we have the option of seeking help from others with more experience. I have had a couple of mentors whom I counted on when I needed professional and godly advice. Leadership is all about motivation and not manipulation. Two years ago, I got accepted for internship in a teaching hospital. The department where I worked organised a workshop on a course relevant to our clinical practice and we the interns were mandated to pay a huge sum of money. I was elected into the committee in charge of organisations to represent the interest of the Interns. The Interns had reservations about paying for the course because they felt it wouldn't be of any benefit to them. I took it upon myself to find the relevance of the scheduled course, it's benefits and why we should attend despite the huge fee. Two days later I called a meeting, discussed the credentials of the proposed instructor for the course, his skills which was unparalleled, and that if this opportunity was lost because of us (the committee needed the interns' contribution for the seminar to succeed) we would only have our selves to blame. Also I met one on one with the 'heavy weights' among them and was able to convince them on its relevance. Within a week, all the Interns had fully paid. A week after the course, all the Interns were so happy about the outcome of the seminar, it changed their treatment outcomes and majority that had some private patients had a higher patient satisfaction rate than before.

Effective leadership must not only confront wrongdoing but also maintain the highest ethical standards particularly in areas of money. As the 'Father figure' of the family house where I lodged during my one year service training, I was in charge of the household finance. I was handed the sum of sixty-four thousand naira with an outstanding rent of fifty thousand to be paid and other utility bills. I paid the rent, utility bills and started to grow our finance. I made sure we paid a monthly due of five hundred naira. When it was time to welcome the new batch as was the custom, we sought for funds through the use of letters to church members and senior colleagues at our various work place. I was very frugal on expenditures that I grew the house finance by 75% without any outstanding debts.

I have a vision for leadership and I believe this chevening scholarship will enhance my abilities to influence my society.
Rich Monte 2 / 94 2  
"we should start with the problem we want to solve in the world"

Sorry, but it is completely delusional and fraudulent way of thinking. It suggests that people should not worry about their closest, local issues, but take care of the problems they will not be able to solve anyway. Such a way of thinking will produce absolutely nothing but lip-service and shifts your own responsibility to other people who will not care about your responsibilities anyway. You should remove this part completely and start with something more reasonable and workable, for example: "we should start with the problem we want to solve in our local communities (and forget about the progressive propaganda that we can change the world)."
OP etta90 2 / 3 1  
@Rich Monte thanks.

Home / Scholarship / The fate of people with disabilities in Nigeria. Leadership and influence essay