Is this full of babbling? GKS 2024/ Undergraduate Scholarship - LANGUAGE STUDIES BEFORE AND AFTER

jennide 1 / -  

LANGUAGE STUDIES BEFORE AND AFTER

In my view, one of the most rewarding things is to learn a new language. I took English lessons over a long period, and I would say I felt pleased all those years. As I was an enthusiastic English learner, allow me to say that I will take my Korean Language Course with the same passion and dedication.

I have been self-taught learning Korean language, from reading to speaking. Later, I decided it was time to polish it by taking lessons with a teacher. In 2022 I was able to visit Korea. It was my first time interacting in real life with the language hence there were times I would switch between the three languages I have an acknowledge of: Spanish, English and Korean. During that period of time, I found myself getting considerably comfortable with Korean language.

All my friends and connections were Korean people or foreigners with whom I should communicate in Korean language. Hence, I saw myself obligated to improve my speaking day by day. I attended church every other day and I was provided with a translation device. At the end of my stay, I was able to understand 60% of my PastorĀ“s preach. At present, Youtube has been a helpful tool specially the Hankuk University of Foreign Studies channel.

If I have the chance to return to Korea, I will practice the language more intensely than before since I will not only interact daily with my friends and acquaintances but take proper lessons and concentrate deeply on my studies. Allowing that I take my language lessons in the morning, in the afternoon I do homework and in the late evening I attend Church Services, I will have spent the whole day thinking and talking in Korean language. My greatest weakness is written Korean Language and the usage of honorific and formal speech. Being that my weaknesses are the most required for a level 5 TOPIK, I shall not rely only on daily interactions but more advanced and polished language study.

One essay in per thread please.
Well, this is a comprehensive presentation of your history with the Korean language. Unfortunately, Hangul is not the only focus of this essay. You should balance it out to also reflect your desire to advance your English language skills since that is a required aspect of the discussion. You need to create a balanced discussion that will show an interest in the development of both languages as a part of your regular communication skills. While Hangul will be the primary teaching language, you will also need to develop English as a communication tool with students who are not Hangul fluent at the time the classes begin. It will also help your application if you speak of a plan to take the TOPIK test prior to arriving in Korea for certification purposes.
sushiii - / 2 2  
Your essay is quite good. I don't know that why you are writitng the language plan ( whether for GKS or for admission in Korean university). But still your mention of background is good. However, you should also tell about more specific things you will be doing for improving your Korean language. And as you said that you are able to understand 60% Korean prayer. Then, my advice is even if you don't have any topik score. Write your essay in Korean Language. ( specially if you are applying for any shcolarship like GKS and other) And if there is any interview on this statement will be there. Then, try to talk in Korean only. It will give you a knack above others and you will be prioritized bcz of your understanding of Korean language. Also, try to mention how much you know the lanuguage on a numeric scale (like your TOPIK score, if you had or any general thing from which they can know about your ability). On the last note, when you have mentioned that writing korean is your weakness. Please don't state it with the word weakness. Make it look positive and not the negative. That means, Write something like, i still have to flourish/ work on/ enhance my Korean writing skills and then state the things or your statergies how you will improve the writing skills. Make sure to attatch TOPIK certificate if you have any. All the Best!

Home / Scholarship / Is this full of babbling? GKS 2024/ Undergraduate Scholarship - LANGUAGE STUDIES BEFORE AND AFTER