Home / Scholarship   % width   Posts: 3

2025 GKS-U Study Plan on how to improve foreign language

kumaaa 1 / -  
I know the study plan is divided into three parts, but this is for the first essay on how to improve foreign language.

Learning a language isn't just about memorizing words and grammar; it's about exploring a culture, connecting with others, and building relationships. As I prepare to improve my Korean language skills, I've already taken steps to start learning before I even set foot in Korea. I understand that overcoming the language barrier will be my first challenge upon arrival, therefore, having a basic understanding of Korean beforehand is important. By engaging daily with Korean language apps, online courses, and language exchange platforms, I'm steadily building my vocabulary and improving my ability to construct basic sentences, even before arriving in Korea. For instance, practicing simple conversations and learning phrases helps me to envision using these skills in real-life situations, such as asking for directions at the airport upon arrival in Korea. These simple skills help me navigate smoothly and communicate effectively from the start of my time in Korea, making my overall experience better.

Upon arriving in South Korea, I will immediately purchase books that teach the basics of the Korean language. I will also bring some introductory Hangul books with me to help understand the writing system better. I plan to spend a lot of my free time exploring South Korea and participating in cultural activities like Templestay, craft workshops, and Hanbok experiences. These activities will help me immerse myself in the Korean language and culture. Of course, learning Korean will be the most important task during my language year, but I must not forget the importance of improving my English even further. In order for me to improve my English along with my Korean, I will make sure to take English mock exams that will test my proficiency in English. I will also utilize various books, including dictionaries, to expand my Korean vocabulary while simultaneously enhancing my English proficiency. Socializing with other foreigners and having daily conversations with them will help me improve both my English and Korean language skills. This is a crucial part of improving my language skills, as this is what will help me achieve my initial goal of overcoming the language barrier.

I love reading, and I plan to read Korean books regularly to improve my language skills. I am good at memorizing terms and characters quickly, which has always been a strength of mine. With this ability, I aim to achieve at least TOPIK Level 4 in six months, through consistent study and strategic learning techniques to help me reach this goal. My ultimate aim is to achieve TOPIK Level 6 within a year, in order for me to communicate and engage in conversations well without struggling. I know this may sound ambitious of me, but I am dedicated to putting in the necessary time and effort to achieve it. To ensure that I learn in a structured way, I will use specific resources like the "Integrated Korean" series by the Korean Language Education and Research Center (KLEAR), and I will also use online platforms like "Duolingo" and "Talk To Me In Korean." Additionally, I will join extracurricular activities like language exchange meetups and conversation clubs. I will track my progress with regular self-assessments, quizzes, and mock TOPIK exams. Learning Korean will help me excel in my studies and allow me to contribute significantly to my field. I am excited to fully immerse myself in the language and culture of South Korea.

Any feedbacks would be gladly appreciated. Thank you.

Holt  Educational Consultant - / 15258  
The last paragraph is a bit confusing. Are you aiming to score these TOPIK tests prior to your arrival in Korea or upon arrival? Remember that when you arrive in Korea, you will be made to attend formal language classes as a part of your scholarship qualification. You will have TOPIK tests then and you can only take it twice. The second time taking the test will only be allowed if you failed the test the first time. Since one of the scholarship qualifications is that you pass the TOPIK test, the scores you are mentioning should be for prior to arrival in Korea plans. Please clarify that reference in the presentation. You cannot take the test twice unless you fail the first time once you are already in Korea.
Vera24 3 / 13  
@kumaaa
Your essay shows a thorough and proactive approach to learning Korean, emphasizing cultural immersion and practical application. Your dedication and use of specific resources demonstrate a clear plan to achieve your language goals.

Home / Scholarship / 2025 GKS-U Study Plan on how to improve foreign language
Need professional help with your assignments? Fill out one of these forms: