I am going to explain several experiences of mine that proving my leadership and influence skills.

skhaor 5 / 8 2  

Leadership and Influence Essay for Chevening

I believe that someone can not be a strong leader in sudden. There must be a lot of learning-despite it is from classes, books, people, or even experiences. What is necessary of being a true leader is not only having ability to manage and influence others, but also having clear goals, setting strategies, and becoming a learner in every second of their life. Below I am going to explain several experiences of mine that proving my leadership and influence skills.

Being elected as Head of Journalistic Extracurricular when I was 14 was my first experience to run an organization and manage some goals and events with approximately 15 members. That was not as easy as I thought before, sometimes some of our targets were delayed or even neglected, but this first experience and some failures taught me lot of leadership skills.

In 2014 I was selected as an Editor in Chief and leader in our Ocaenography Student's Association Magazine team namely X. My responsibility was started from deciding a theme, selected some members and contributors, creating the contents, producing the magazines, until distributing it. It was quite difficult to manage our team's time to meeting or work in our agendas due to we had different class and activities. I realized that what I have to do first was make a chemistry between I and my members, I started it from having lunch together with them. I also believe that good communication will enhance our togetherness in this team and help us to reach our goals that we had discussed in the first place.

After making this team solid, ideas and innovations were necessary to enhance and develop the magazine. As a result, we do some changes in this magazine but the two most influential changes were it's name (from Y Magazine turning into X Magazine), and there were some alumnae who buy the magazine with a high price (our magazine was not for sale, we distribute it freely only to Marine Student Association all around my country and some institution related to this field.). In the end we're not only satisfied by making our goals come true, but also we got profits which we never expected before.

Currently I am working on my father's company named X which now focused on coastal protection. This time, he teach me how to handle a business and how to always learn and broaden my knowledge especially in terms of coastal engineering. From all those experiences, I believe that a great leader is someone who has a good interpersonal skills, respect others, and always able to learn. And now I am on my way to prepare for that.
Shofia, the Chevening committee is not interested in the foundation of your leadership skills, which is what your essay is all about. What they want to learn from you is how you apply all those lessons in the workplace. How do you handle stressful leadership situations that require you to influence your subordinates into following your various decisions in order to have a successful outcome? While leadership theories can be learned in books and classes, and a person can be trained to become a true leader, that person cannot claim to be a true leader and influencer in his profession, with the potential to become a leader and influencer of sorts in his own country, if he has no true leadership experience to exemplify his leadership lessons and achievements by. This is why you cannot use all of the contents that you created for this essay. There is nothing in it to justify a solid professional leadership personality. You will have to base the professional leadership and influencing personality on the work you do for your father's company instead. You will be up against applicants who are politicians, up and coming business leaders, and economic policy advisers in their home countries for this scholarship. Therefore, your application qualifications need to come up to par with the credentials of the other applicants. while your experience will be usable for an ordinary masters degree SOP, it is not Chevening material. Therefore, you need to up your game with regards to your leadership and influencing credentials.
obbiescholar 3 / 5  
You have to explain what good leader's characteristic is, and explain how you did your role as Editor in Chief and leader in our Ocaenography Student's Association Magazine, how did you solve the problems found while leading the team and how your solution affects others.

Home / Scholarship / I am going to explain several experiences of mine that proving my leadership and influence skills.