Helping the community through autism awareness (APIASF prompt)

anonymous2014 2 / 2  
In 500 words or less, please describe how you plan to give back to your community and help fulfill the needs of your community after you've completed your education. How would your plan impact not only your immediate community, but also a broader one?

Being a member of the Circle of Friends Club, a club that focuses on the acceptance of students with disabilities through relationship building with non-disabled peers, I have developed a connection with these students through multiple peer-bonding activities. Circle of Friends does not only attempt to bring these autistic students outside of their disengaged world but also form a group where they can socialize and meet new friends. Having been part of this club for three years, I have formed a personal commitment to these autistic students and to the club as a whole.

After earning my science degree, I will work with organizations that focus on autism in order to gain a deeper understanding of the disorder and to help people with autism adapt better to their surroundings and environment. I will help sponsor weekly events at a local community center, where autistic kids can build their interests and strengthen their abilities. Here, kids will not be restricted by the traditional schooling standards. Instead, they will be able to freely do what interests them, whether it is drawing, singing, dancing, playing games, or even watching movies. During these events, parents and volunteers can will help monitor and supervise.

Being able to do what best interests autistic kids is essential to their development as well as to the community's understanding of how these kids think and behave. The community will not only be able to learn more about the disorder and see the humanity within these kids, but will also be more appreciative of those who were born with autism. As autistic as they are, many of these individuals might be skilled and talented in specific fields, but these skills and talents will lay dormant if not expressed. Thus, having the freedom to express their interests is significant and essential.

Millions of individuals are affected with Autism Spectrum Disorder within only the United States, and many more are affected globally. However, not everyone are familiar with the disorder and not everyone are kind to it. If more people are exposed to such information, individuals around the world with autism will be more appreciated and will have more opportunity to achieve their dreams and form their talents. Sponsoring multiple events specifically for autistic kids in the future, I will provide guidance to individuals with autism adapt better to the environment in addition to helping the local community as well as a broader one understand and appreciate autism.
Okay, great job. Now let's make this sentence a little clearer by simplifying:
Being a member of t The Circle of Friends Club, a club that focuses on the encourages acceptance of students with disabilities through relationship building with non-disabled peers.

I have developed a connection with these students through multiple peer-bonding activities. Circle of Friends does not only attempt attempts not only to bring these autistic students outside of their disengaged worlds but also to form a group...

However, not everyone are many people are un familiar with the disorder and not everyone are kind to it act in insensitive ways .

I like this, and I think it can be better with more substance. Can you think of two examples of specific actions you will take to spread awareness about autism? For example, maybe it is one of your research interests. You will get some great ideas if you read some professional journal articles about it, try to find some more recent than 2011 or 2012, so you see the most recent advancements. Get excited about contributing to our collective knowledge about it! You can even cite some scholars who wrote articles that interest you.

: )

Home / Scholarship / Helping the community through autism awareness (APIASF prompt)