Indian and US lifestyles - there's a huge difference, but I'm ready and well prepared for it

sana77 1 / -  
global ugrad exchange program - why you would be a great participant?

Life is lot bigger than comfort zone

I am a young Indian girl and I love to celebrate my individuality. I am raised in a south Indian orthodox middle class family. I have been taught about spirituality, meditations and yoga by my father since my young age. I have learnt Bharathnatyam which is an Indian traditional dance and I have learnt Sanskrit a sacred language of many religions. I would love to share these great nuances of Indian culture with others.

I have been taught to follow all religions Hinduism, Christianity, Muslim and my family celebrates all festivals regarding these religions and I have learnt to respect ones individuality by my parents, which has given me great tolerance and respect for fellow being irrespective of their race, cast, and religion.

I have never been out of my country, but I had an opportunity to move away from my family and town to big city for my pre-university studies. To do things all alone on myself wasn't an easy task in the beginning but as the time turned I learnt to cook, to do laundry, to do groceries, and to be independent. Those two years taught me that life is lot bigger than comfort zone.

I have chosen to be an electronics and communication engineer. I have great passion for IOT. With regrets neither my university nor my city has courses related to IOT. Even India is slow pacer related to IOT, while in USA most universities has IOT courses and US is doing large scaled projects on IOT. I would consider this program as a great opportunity to learn about my passion.

I have seen and learnt about US education system, federal society, cultural diversity through internet and newspaper but it is a dream for me to see and study in US. No one in my family has been to America. I'll be considered as pride of the family.

I love this quote by Maya Angelou "I love to see young girl go out and grab the world by the lapels, life is a bitch you have to go out and kick ass" and I want to be that independent girl. My parents have given me freedom to choose in life and I want to show them I am being the best what I have chosen.

Through global under graduation exchange program I want to share my knowledge and Indian culture with others and take back all positivity, knowledge and experience back to my country.

I am aware there is lots of difference between Indian and US lifestyles, education system, culture, and society etc. but I am well prepared and confident to face it. I want to celebrate that difference through GLOBAL UGRAD and take a big leap towards success in my life.
hermean 1 / 3  
@sana77

life is a bitch you have to go out and kick ass

Not so sure about this one.....I don't know if it might produce a good image of you to the admissions committee.
And also, check out Grammarly. A free app to help you correct most of your mistakes.
Sahana, remove the quote from Maya Angelou. I do not care who you are quoting and how relevant you feel that quote is to your situation, you are never allowed to swear, cuss, use bad words / foul language in an academic essay. Most specially an academic essay that could deliver a scholarship for a rare opportunity for you to study overseas. I do not know what you were thinking. Why would you think that you can swear in an essay of this magnitude and deliver a good impression of yourself to the reviewer? Don't answer that. Just remove the offending paragraph from your essay and it should become aligned once again with the proprieties of academic writing.

The line referring to your familiarity with the US educational system is irrelevant to the reason why you will make a great participant in the program. All of the applicants will be claiming the same thing. Do not tell the reviewer that going to school abroad will make you the pride of the family. That is a selfish reason for wanting to win this prestigious scholarship and does not paint you in a good light with the reviewer. A great participant to this program is open to learning from others. He respects others with his words. You already have two counts against you in this essay that you wrote based upon swear words and self centered content. I need not tell you that you must revise those portions immediately.

Home / Scholarship / Indian and US lifestyles - there's a huge difference, but I'm ready and well prepared for it