⚠ A Contributor has already posted here! For more answers, please re-open and Urgent this thread!

My influence in supporting mothers to breastfeed - leadership essay

Raanita /  

(Chevening Scholarship) First Section

During my final year research in my undergraduate degree, I needed to carry out my research data collection. I used this as a platform to plant my passion for the Malaysian maternal healthcare issues concerning breastfeeding promotion. I took the initiative and chose a topic on breastmilk. During the research period, I was in a group of four people that had to collect breast milk samples from the eligible mothers. I led my group mates in this project by delegating roles and planning ahead. As a trusting leader, I introduced the use of a Gantt Chart to plan and track our specific tasks in a time frame. I took the responsibility in paying close attention to ensure the breast milk samples could be collected and stored in a hygienic manner. Eventually, all our research on the breast milk samples was successful. After the results, one of the research participants noticed my charisma and asked me to be a part of her video for "The Breastfeeding Advocates Network", a facebook page for all mothers in Malaysia that are breastfeeding in Malaysia. This exceeded my aim as a leader and our aim as a group. I am grateful to lead and have an influence in supporting mothers to breastfeed my country.

Secondly, during my internship at the Public Health Clinic, I showcased my leadership skills while being an influence in my country. As a certified public speaker BY Toastmasters, my passion for public healthcare drove me to give talks to the mothers at the public health clinics in Malaysia. The talks were on the breastfeeding, nutrition during pregnancy and many more. As my confidence in conversing in my national language to the Malaysian mothers began to be evident, I noticed my group mates consistently approaching me to guide them in their speaking skills. Being a leader in my group allowed me to showcase my capabilities and helped me achieve and exceed aims and expectations whilst successfully influencing others to do the right thing one step at a time.

The third opportunity I had was, during the organ donation week in my university, International Medical University (IMU), I was entrusted to lead the students of IMU and work closely with the Chairman of the Malaysian Association of Private Colleges and Universities (MAPCU) Community Service Committee. I was given a chance to lead the team in IMU at the Relay for Life event. I led a success of 46 pledgers at the MAPCU organ donation week.

Moreover, During my university's Chariofare event and in support of organ donation, I took the opportunity to create a video montage to tackle the misconceptions of organ donation. This video had influenced many people that were there. There were over 123 pledges from 420 attendees at the event setting a record breaker. I was credited in by University for the work I produced. I believe with my effort and ability to motivate and inspire others was shown in the video as I managed to impact one's outlook on organ donation.
Raanita, this essay is not very competitive because you cannot balance the evolution of your leadership activities. If you wish to present several examples of your leadership skills it needs to be presented in representation of your college level leadership, community leadership, and professional leadership. You cannot use only an academic reference to your leadership skills. Internship skills do not represent professional skills either as you are not truly performing professional tasks yet. There is a lack of leadership skills development in a marked way in your discussion. That is why your presentation, though good, cannot be competitive when compared to the other applicants who have a clear reference to a solid professional leadership skill or a series of developing leadership skills in various sectors.

If you opt to revise your essay to clearly present a balanced representation of your leadership strengths and influencing skills, then use the internship opportunity that you had as an amateur leadership skill. Use the internship at the Public Health Clinic as your influencing skill via the talks / speeches that you delivered. Explain how your talks inspired the women in the community to breastfeed. What was the result of your speech / talk? That should show a clear influencing style foundation.

You must close the essay with a presentation of a professional application of your leadership and influencing skills. That way you can prove that you actually have the ability to lead your peers and influence them towards a positive outcome. People management is the key to your professional leadership and influencing reference. That is very important and that should be the highlight of your essay.

Home / Scholarship / My influence in supporting mothers to breastfeed - leadership essay