KGSP Personal Statement - opportunity to delve deeper into Korean studies

agermanguy 1 / -  
Hey,

I am currently writing my KGSP application. I am done with my personal statement and currently struggling with the "goal of study" part. Anyways, I would appreciate it if someone could give me feedback regarding my personal statement. I realize that the paragraphs are too long (and maybe the essay itself? It's exactly 1 page) but I am not sure how I should shorten it.

Thank you so much!

1. Your motivation with which you apply to this program;
2. Your relation and work experience in relation to KGSP;
3. Reason for studying in Korea;
4. Any other aspects of your background and interests which may help us evaluate your aptitude and passion for graduate
study or research.

""호랑이를 그리려 노력하면 고양이라도 그릴 수 있다." This Korean saying expresses the idea that even though a goal might seem unreachable, you can achieve great results if you only take the challenge. It immediately came across my mind while reading the notice of the KGSP scholarship, as it reflects not only my commitment to apply for this program but also my initial decision to study Korean studies. I first came in contact with Korea's fascinating culture during a trip to Los Angeles after graduating high school. Through this initial experience I gained an interest to study more in-depth about Korea. So it came to no surprise that I chose my Bachelor program in Korean studies at the University of XXX, although the idea first seemed far-fetched and challenging.

My studies included various lectures focusing on Korea's history, literature and culture. While I am usually a relatively quiet person, I opened up more through the semesters by taking an active role in all my classes and enjoying holding presentations, especially in classes of Korean studies. In that sense, studying about Korea had a highly positive effect on my personality. I also experienced intercultural understanding by teaching German to Korean exchange students at my university as a volunteer. Through my interaction with them I was able to learn and share more about cultural differences. But most of all, my exchange semester at XXX University in Korea was the most helpful and memorable experience of my studies, because I was able to further enhance my understanding about intercultural communication. This experience gave me the opportunity to further promote international interaction by not only engaging with Korean students but also taking Korean language lessons with students from all over the world.

Furthermore, I took courses relating to International Politics with lectures discussing the relations between South and North Korea. Coincidentally, my stay in Korea was accompanied by heightened tensions between the two countries when North Korea launched its so far biggest nuclear arms test. Especially as a citizen of Germany, with its history of reunification, I was determined to study more about inter-Korean relations and took an increased interest in the future of the Korean peninsula. Fortunately, after finishing this invaluable semester successfully, I had an opportunity for an internship at the XXX. During this three-month work experience as a project assistant for the region Japan / Korea / South Pacific, I could communicate and work with many regional specialists by planning several events relating to doing business in Korea. One of the most memorable activities was interviewing regional experts and organizing information about the current political and economical situation in both, South and North Korea. Although initially taking on such an important project presented unexpected situations, I was always eager to embrace each new challenge with my coworkers. By doing so, I was able to meet both South and North Korean businessmen and delegates and work in cooperation with institutions such as KOTRA and the Korean-German Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Based on all these invaluable experiences I decided to pursue a Master degree in Korea to delve deeper into the topic of inter-Korean relations.

I have no doubt that the KGSP scholarship will not only allow me to achieve a deeper understanding of Korean culture but also provide the best environment for a researcher of Korean studies as a true and sufficient understanding can only be achieved by direct contact and personal experiences. I already realized these benefits while attending Ewha Womans University and making use of the vast library to gather sources for my Bachelor thesis. Besides, one of my Korean friends also emphasized this truth through her experiences while studying "immigration in Europe" in Germany. She frequently mentioned how her study at a German university truly helped her open up unconventional perspectives. By studying inter-Korean relations in Korea, I can incorporate a more multilateral approach by closer access to local institutions, experts of the field, vast amount of original sources and even the chance to survey Korean citizens. Therefore, as a prospective researcher of Korean studies, I see it as almost obligatory to attend a Korean university to cultivate a deeper insight. Moreover, the KGSP, with its one-year Korean language program, is a great opportunity to further solidify my Korean skills since fluency in Korean is not only an indispensable tool as a researcher but also valuable for my professional future. I am convinced that experiencing Korea outside of the "Seoul bubble" while having an opportunity to learn Korean language intensively will enable me to gain a more complete picture of Korea.

In conclusion, the KGSP scholarship is an ideal fit to my academic and personal background and future plans. I am confident that my passion about Korea and my interest in inter-Korean relations can provide great value to the field of Korean studies and contribute to the improvement of South and North Korean relations."
SSAGitz 1 / 3 2  
Hi @agermanguy,

I think your essay would be better if you start to answer in straight to the point for each question.
For example questions no. 1. Your motivation with which you apply to this program, you can answer by explaining that you decided to take program xxx due to xxx.

I think it would make the reader more clear with your study purpose instead of starting with a quote, since it is a statement of purpose not a cover of novel.

Also, you may self review your essay and put your self in the reader position. Consider that they only have limited time to review many essay from many candidates. So, be more efficient and address each questions directly.

Gud luck :).
Sven, you need to refocus your response to represent only the academic and professional aspects of your application in relation to the prompt. Your response is purely academic based when you are required to connect your college interests with your profession and from there, to your interest in a masters degree. This masters degree interest will then translate into your interest in the KGSP program. The discussion about your interest in Korea stemming from a visit to Los Angeles will require further explanation as you visited America and not Korea so the connection regarding the development of your interest does not seem to be logical. Basically, your essay is weak in representation when it comes to the prompt discussion. Most of the weakness comes from the purely academic and internship concentration. Since you will be up against some of the most experienced professionals in various fields for this scholarship, it is important that you strengthen your professional background presentation in a manner that clearly indicates how you will benefit from further studies done in a Korean academic setting.

Home / Scholarship / KGSP Personal Statement - opportunity to delve deeper into Korean studies