LANGUAGE STUDY PLAN FOR GKS-U (3 PAGES)

tamxdd123 1 / 1  
STUDY PLAN (3 PAGES)

Language Study Plan

Study plans to improve foreign languages (Korean, English, etc) required for taking a degree course BEFORE and AFTER you come to Korea.

A. In Vietnam (nearly 2 months before departure)

- First 1 week: Find out the Korean language's history - Learn Hangeul by using flashcards - Know how to mix characters into words
- Next 1 week: Learn basic grammar and be able to introduce myself briefly - Listen to Korean songs or films to be acquainted with different dialects - Learn 10 new words everyday

- Next 2 weeks: Self-study online courses in Coursera: "A Bridge to the World: Korean Language" series from Sungkyunkwan University - Keep learning 10 new words daily
- Next 4 weeks: Have living routines 2 hours earlier to become accustomed to Korean standard time - Learn 20 new words every day - Revise vocabulary and grammar

B. In Korea

Big Targets:
- Goal 1: Reach TOPIK Level 5
- Goal 2: Reach IELTS 8.0 with 7.5 in Writing and 9.0 in Reading
Detailed Plan (11 months):
- First 1 month: get TOPIK Level 1
During the first days in Korea, I will hang out regularly to talk to the natives there and also find a Korean friend who could help me practice speaking skills. I will learn 20 new words every day and learn how to make simple sentences. I aim to have 1000 words and understand basically major word classes: noun, verb, adjective, adverb.

- Next 2 months: get TOPIK Level 2
I will keep learning 20 new words and more complex grammar per day, then practice with my Korean friend. To improve listening skills, the dictation method is a good way: I will listen to short recordings and write down every word. Then, I will use the shadowing technique to boost my speaking ability. I also do reading exercises in primary school books. At the same time, I intend to spend 2 hours a day learning IELTS online courses to hit an overall score of 7.5.

- Next 2 months: get TOPIK Level 3
Besides doing the same activities as in previous months, I start to write a daily diary to prepare for the writing tasks in TOPIK II. I will do at least 2 TOPIK and 1 IELTS practice tests every day and carefully check the wrong answers to learn from those mistakes.

- Next 3 months: get TOPIK Level 4 & IELTS 8.0
When having a wide vocabulary of 4000 words, I will read simple articles on the KBS World website about my favorite topics such as sports, entertainment, etc. to practice reading skills and update more information about Korea's status. I also plan to write essays about social issues and ask my teachers to give feedback. I will continue to do 1 IELTS test a day and take the official test in October and strive for band 8.0.

- Next 3 months: get TOPIK Level 5
In the last months, I will do 3 TOPIK sample papers a day. In addition, I also immerse myself in Korean by listening to "Talk to me in Korean" videos and reading scientific articles all day. I will ask for experience on test day from other students who already took the test to be best-prepared.
The reviewer will appreciate the self-study and perseverance in the presentation. The problem, is that he will also expect the student to have undertaken some sort of formal Hangul education prior to arrival. Either formal class attendance or online classes will be acceptable.

While taking the TOPIK test in advance of your arrival is preferred, a formal language proficiency certification of any sort will still help add to the strength of the language plan. The tangible evidence helps the reviewer get a better idea of what Hangul or English language level you hope to achieve prior to your arrival in Korea. A Coursera certification might be acceptable for Hangul. Majority of the applicants will have a verifiable language proficiency level prior to arrival.

It is also important that the applicant take the IELTS test prior to applying for the scholarship. The score recieved in the test will be considered in lieu of the TOPIK test. Preference may be given to students with language test results (TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS) of a certain high scoring level. That is why the language certification is important to the application.
OP tamxdd123 1 / 1  
Thank you a lot! So the only thing I need to add might be "get TOPIK Level 1 before departure" right?

Home / Scholarship / LANGUAGE STUDY PLAN FOR GKS-U (3 PAGES)