Being a leader in one of the most important charity organizations: future leaders CHEVENING

saso 1 / -  
Chevening Essay: future leaders or influencers

Please I need to know your comment on my answer for this question

I will take about my experience as being a leader of one group in one of the most important charity organizations in XXX'NAME of organization'. This organization seeks to improve the overall position of my country through establishing many programs. One of that programs is concerned about searching for families who suffer from poverty, unemployment and their children left the school due to their bad financial position and help them through providing them with a suitable project.

There are many issues faced us while working in such projects which left me up and makes me gain leadership skills, I will summarize them all in the following points:

The first point is related to finance. As this program is self-financed one, so we are obligated to gain funds by ourselves to use them in providing such projects to poor families. This point taught me how to think and search for different sources of finance. We used to collect money through making advertising with the minimum cost to introduce this projects to the public and let them participate with us in helping others. We also used to talking with people on streets and convince them with our mission and goals. Besides that, we searched for sponsors to provide us with the target fund we are.

The second point is related to organizing. As this program depends on searching for poor families so I have to organize my group and allocate the tasks between us to find the most suitable families. I organize them by divided the whole group to small teams. Some of them are responsible for making a survey around the whole governance which is our society and the others are responsible formaking survey around the city until determining our sample which is villages. Others have a task of talking with villagers to get sure about the financial position of the selected families.

The third point is related to how to make a decision. After selecting the needed families, I (with the help of other leaders) begin to search for the most suitable job for the householder. This varies from one family to another.

The fourth one is related to how to think in the long run. After providing projects to those families, we look after those families and evaluate them periodically (from three side: financially, socially, ethically and educationally) for at least one year until we become sure that we achieve our goals.

Finally I can summarize my rule as a leader as the following: I determine the ways that we will use to get finance, make presentations about our role in the society to let new people know our contribution and motivate them to join us, organize the group while making surveys about choosing the most suitable families, taking a decision about which family we will help, participating in making the list of questions each team will use when determine which project will be suitable for each family, evaluate the overall performance of the family and determine if we successfully achieve our goal and mission or not.
Sara, the part about financing doesn't belong in this essay. From the duty description that you have provided, it seems that you should save this particular explanation for your networking skills. That is where this ability should be included as a discussion. The finance work that you did obviously entailed some sort of networking so if you are hard pressed to defend your networking skills, trust me when I tell you that you can use the finance discussion, in expanded form to explain that skill of yours.

The rest of the essay works well in depicting your leadership and influencing traits. This is a unique presentation as you are doing it point by point. Something that is not normally seen in this type of essay discussion. It is easy to read and makes it even easier to remember or refer to the facts of your essay should the reviewer need to consult your paper during the deliberation stage. That is, if you get to that stage.

Good luck with your application. If you implement my suggestion, I believe that you can already submit this paper for the consideration of the scholarship committee.

Home / Scholarship / Being a leader in one of the most important charity organizations: future leaders CHEVENING