Home / Scholarship   % width NEW!

HOW THE LSBU VC SCHOLARSHIP WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON MY FUTURE CAREER

Kwame 1 / -  
I am applying for a postgraduate scholarship at the London South Bank University. I am supposed to submit a 500 word essay on how t he scholarship opportunity would make a difference on my career. I am also to demonstrate commitment to my goals by indicating any practical or academic achievement. I attach the draft essay below for your review and inputs. The course I intend studying is Msc Development Studies.

The United Kingdom is revered the world-over for its quality educational standards. Therefore, the London South Bank University's Vice Chancellor scholarship presents the perfect opportunity to study for a master's degree of such calibre. This scholarship would not only enable me gain advanced knowledge but will also help broaden my horizons through the exposure it would avail.

Upon a successful completion of the programme, I would have gained insights into developmental issues and ways of addressing them. Subsequently, this would put me in a better position to make more meaningful and matured contributions on developmental policy planning and implementation to the Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Department of the Ghana Cocoa Board where I work presently. The opportunity would also prepare me for more daunting tasks on the job.

Ultimately, the scholarship opportunity would add value to my curriculum vitae and help boost my confidence; all of which would aid me consolidate my grasp on research and developmental issues thereby positioning me strategically for a challenging career in the Research and Development industry. It would also make my boyhood dream a reality.

Hailing from a peasant family of ten, getting to this level was never easy. It required tremendous effort, hard work, determination and commitment. Despite attending basic school in a dilapidated school in rural Ghana, I made the grades and gained admission to one of the best secondary schools here in Ghana. However, due to consistent financial constraints, concentrating on my studies was difficult, a reason why I failed some papers at the final examination.

Not one that gives up easily and knowing the essence of university education, I re-sat those papers and passed thereby gaining admission to the University of Cape Coast, Ghana. Yet again, my joy was short-lived as financing my university education became a hurdle. With a passion to succeed and a determination that knows no bounds, I took students' loans and worked on part-time basis to help finance my university education. That notwithstanding, I graduated successfully with a second class lower despite working an average twenty hours a week.

Upon completion of University, I was posted to the Head Office of the Ghana Cocoa Board to undertake my national service duty. At the time, I lived forty kilometers off the outskirts of Accra. Bearing in mind the role cocoa and for that matter the Ghana Cocoa Board plays in the economy of Ghana, I did not let the distance discourage me but saw it as a challenge that needed to be surmounted. I commuted to and fro for the entire duration of my national service. My effort and vision has been recognized by my department as I have been offered contract appointment with permanency due soon.

Clearly, the above insights lend credence to the fact that any investments made in me by way of awarding me this scholarship would be worth it. Thank you for taking time to go through my application. I pray your decision would enable me realize my greatest dream thus far.

Home / Scholarship / HOW THE LSBU VC SCHOLARSHIP WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON MY FUTURE CAREER