Next Korean wave - GKS Personal Statement for Animation master

barblesiv 1 / -  
Hello! I've been working on my essay for the GKS 2022 and would apreciate some feedback! Thank you very much :)

GKS Personal statement must have:
- Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Family and Education background
- Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or events that have had a significant influence on you

- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.

PERSONAL STATEMENT

Animation has been an immense influence in my life since childhood, and growing up just made me like those movies even though I didn't fully understand why I felt so emotional. How could I cry over something that wasn't real. It always amazes me how every frame is there to make you feel something. Especially the power to go beyond reality and still show so much humanity. They make animation for every person. It doesn't matter our age or where we came from, as long as we feel. All of this, who came together with me through life, sparked the interest I have in the field now.

As a very shy person, expressing myself through art has been very important since a young age, from acting to drawing or even music classes. Unfortunately, there is no incentive to become an artist in Brazil. However, I had the privilege of a mother who supported me and my dreams. She worked as a domestic to raise me and pay our bills and now has her own business. My mother is the reason I could have a higher education. She pursued a diploma in her fifties and was a present mother after divorcing my father and was my source of comfort after he passed away. So she is my biggest inspiration and the reason I could grow and chase after my dreams.

In 2018, I started studying 3D animation at "Faculdade Méliès", a college well-known in the animation industry. Pioneer in Brazil and number one in Latin America, many alumni are present in big movies, series, and games worldwide. Although I already had some drawing skills as I took part in school competitions and short-term courses during high school, my animation-making knowledge was almost none. But since the beginning I could enjoy every class and study group. I used to arrive in the morning and leave at night, but I was happy and always trying my best.

During the course, I worked on my first animation short film called "Introverse" which is a very personal story to me as it's about a shy child. The making of the film from conception to the end product brought many challenges. I had a wonderful team that helped in overcoming these challenges. Our film has now taken part in over ten festivals around Brazil and the "Arouca Film Festival" from Portugal. After graduating, I wanted to create more stories and keep learning more about animation in all its formats.

In 2019, I studied Korean for a month living in Seoul. I experienced the Korean lifestyle as I was studying the language. Every moment was remarkable for me. The quality of life amazed me, everything works well there together with the advance of technology. So, from the moment I left, I knew I had to return someday. Later, I used my free time after graduating to study Korean again. As a result, I found out about the enormous opportunity GKS offers.

I have a significant interest in Korean audiovisual products. South Korea has been conquering the entertainment industry in many forms, with music, movies, and series. Webtoons are also growing now, but we see little about animated works at the same intensity. Even though the animation industry is not famous, I could find remarkable movies and artists after a little research. I believe this is where the next Korean Wave can take part in the following years. The information for international viewers like me is still limited, but I see animation as a universal language. An example that impressed me was the short film "Mom." by Chung-Ang University Animation Lab, beautiful work with obvious references to Korean culture, still bringing feelings for us around the globe. With the GKS program, I want to bridge our countries in the animation industry. I hope we can show the amazing world the various animated movies that would touch people's hearts.
after divorcing my father

Regardless of the divorce your father had made a contribution to your character development. Offer a few sentences to that relationship. Consider how the divorce affected you and how animation became an escape. Create a personal connection so that your personal experiences also becomes motivating factors.

many alumni

Who are they? What projects did they work on? Without this data you are making a questionable claim.

Our film has now taken part in over ten festivals

Any wins? It would help create accomplishment highlights as needed.

I studied Korean for a month living in Seoul.

What was the motivating factor behind this decision? Try to expand on the background as a response to the requirement for significant experiences and risks taken.

The application has definite areas for improvement which can help the applicant become a notable candidate.

Home / Scholarship / Next Korean wave - GKS Personal Statement for Animation master