Obtaining a master's degree from Leeds University will horn my research expertise - Chevening essay

okorobiadimma14 6 / 82 50  
Outline why you have selected your chosen three university courses, and explain how this relates to your previous academic or professional experience and your plans for the future ( 500 words max).

Prior to sending-in applications to my preferred UK universities, I thoroughly considered the courses offered in these schools to ensure a perfect continuum for my academic and career goals. Hence, obtaining a master's degree in Plant Science and Biotechnology, Applied Biotechnology or Biotechnology from the University of Leeds, University of Westminster, and University of Glasgow, respectively, will horn my research expertise. Ideally, these courses will not only offer a premise for me to develop my career, but also equip me with relevant skills needed in research and innovative science; a priority in the UK's development mandate for Nigeria.

Expectedly, my undergraduate qualification and experience as a laboratory attendant will help me to successfully complete these courses in the UK. During my postsecondary education, I completed most of my courses, such as Plant Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, and Molecular Biology, in grade A's. Basically, the modules in my intended courses of study are related to my previous subjects, except that they are more advanced. Some of the modules include Plant cell biology, Microbial physiology, Techniques in biotechnology, and Industrial bioprocesses.

While my intended course at the University of Leeds will widen my horizon on the application of biotechnology in agricultural improvement, those of the University of Westminster and University of Glasgow will increase my knowledge on the application of biotechnology in environmental pollution management and industrial processes. Through my involvement in laboratory activities at the 'Environmental Biotechnology and Sustainability Research Group' I have developed keen interest in sustainable approach to improving plant productivity and raw materials. Surely, my intended courses of study will help satisfy this research quest. For instance, while applying to my most preferred UK University, I read Professor Jurgen Denecke's article, published 17 years ago, on the anticipation of Endoplasmic Reticulum stress in plants in response to pathogens. I observed that, based on the results reported, the hypotheses were insufficiently addressed. After series of interactions with him through several emails and Skype interview, he supported my application and I received an unconditional offer of an academic place with him as my dissertation supervisor.

My ultimate aspiration is to pursue a career in academia and satisfy my passion for research and teaching in higher education institution. Studying these courses will facilitate my ability to undertake an outstanding independent research. These programs will assist in building my EQ and IQ with the template of excellence that already exists in the UK universities. Definitely, I will have the opportunity to work with state-of-the-art facilities especially in DNA isolation and analysis of gene expression by PCR and RTq-PCR. I have plans to graduate with a distinction and then pursue a PhD degree so as to further my teaching career.

In the long run, through my research expertise, I hope to contribute to the UK's development plan for Nigeria. The UK established West Africa Science and Innovation Network currently based in Lagos with a mission to support science and innovation in Nigeria. I believe I have a stake in this mission.
Okoye, you have to breakdown your course and university choices into bullet points. Each section will discuss the university, the course you have chosen to study, and your previous experience with regards to academics or professional interests. After presenting those information, you should wrap up the presentation with a connection, of that course, with your future career plans. While I realize that there is a specific essay for your career plans, that essay assumes your post study career plans, in terms of a single course. This presentation, will be a 'just in case' you don't end up in your first choice course. Just present a relationship between your course and your potential for a better career. When you discuss the organization that the the UK established in Nigeria, don't forget to present your ideas as to how you can contribute to the organization upon your graduation. It is important to show that you will be able to help promote the interests of the UK in terms of the betterment of your nation.

Home / Scholarship / Obtaining a master's degree from Leeds University will horn my research expertise - Chevening essay