One More Chance-- A Scholarship Appeal Essay for a Broken Heart

radavis19 1 / -  
PLEASE help. I might lose my academic scholarship.

To the Scholarship Appeal Committee:

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits. I am writing this letter in appeal of the potential decision to not renew my Freshman Scholarship. As of today, my scholarship has not been taken away, but I know it will be because I have failed to meet the minimum academic GPA of 3.0. My cumulative GPA for the 2015-2016 academic year was a 2.7. However, it will be a 2.85 once my two grade changes are processed. I fully acknowledge that the potential loss of my scholarship was entirely my fault, and regardless of your response to this letter, I thank the committee for granting me the scholarship in the first place, as well as taking the time to read this letter.

My parents have always been strict. They raised me to stay in the books and work hard. Therefore, when I got on XXXX's campus, I got a taste a freedom and began to slack academically. I partied and socialized way more than I should, often times procrastinating on my homework. The thought of losing my scholarship never crossed my mind-- until final grades came in. I received a 2.75 for the fall semester. I vowed to work diligently in the Spring to raise my grades. However, the spring semester came with personal problems that swallowed me into a pit of depression. Life seemed to be throwing punches at me left and right. Two of my favorite aunts passed away unexpectedly, my mother lost her job, my uncle was paralyzed and had to move in with my mother, and my father's diabetes hospitalized him for weeks. I couldn't focus at school. I was constantly flying home to another problem. These constant hurdles triggered my depression and I fell into a state of haziness. I didn't care about myself or anything surrounding me. I stayed inside and studied, so things looked good for my semester. I earned all A's and B's in my courses up until my Economics final. On the day of the final, I had an anxiety attack and completely failed-- thus dropping my final grade from a B to a D and my GPA along with it. I received a semester GPA of 2.64. However, two of my grades were inaccurately input and are currently in process of being changed. Once those grades are changed, I will still only have a cumulative GPA of 2.85.

XXXX University has been my dream school for as long as I can remember and it was everything I imagined to be and more. I have made connections and been afforded wonderful opportunities that I can make no where else. In fact, I will be traveling to *insert foreign country+* this August with the *organization*. The thought of not being able to return to XXXX because I cannot financially afford the tuition bill has tormented me days on end. I can blame no one but myself. If granted another opportunity to continue at XXXX University on scholarship, I will be sure to not only meet the academic requirements, but surpass them. I have had my taste of freedom, and it is not worth losing my education over. I will use the lessons my parents taught me to help raise my grades. I will go to counseling to make sure that whatever life throws my way, I will be able to handle it and not let it distract me from my studies. I will return to XXX with a fire lit under me and my eyes on the prize.

Again, I thank the Scholarship Committee for taking time to read this letter, as well as providing me the opportunity to explain my situation and the reasons for making the mistakes I made. I realize that my scholarship was a privilege and that the renewal of said privilege was contingent upon me meeting all of my requirements, which I failed to do. I hope that the committee will take these circumstances into consideration. If I am fortunate enough to receive this second chance, I will not waste it. I will prove that I am deserving. I sincerely hope that my situation has appealed to the committee to reconsider their decision and renew my scholarship for the fall.

Sincerely,

MyName
jrojas21 1 / 6 3  
I am writing this letter into appeal of the potential decision to not renew my Freshman Scholarship.
They raised me to stay in the books"focus on my studies" might be a better choice of words) and work hard.
Therefore, when I got on XXXX's campus, I got a taste aof freedom and began to slack off academically.
I partied and socialized way more than I should have , often times procrastinating on my homework.

I would suggest thinking of a few more specifics on what you plan to do to improve your gpa. For example, do you plan on attending office hours, tutoring, letting go of some responsibilities, specific studying strategies? Maybe think of what characteristics helped you get the scholarship in the first place However, I would say you do a good job of describing the problems you have faced.

Home / Scholarship / One More Chance-- A Scholarship Appeal Essay for a Broken Heart