'My parents and Pre-AP English teachar' -academic subject in which you excelled

theloveaffair 1 / 2  
This is my first time one this site, and I'd appreciate it if a few of you could read over my short essay I've written for the scholarship topic of "Briefly describe an academic subject or course in which you excelled and the factors which made you successful." :) Thank you!

I became engrossed with English at a very young age. Once my parents began transitioning from reading me simple picture books to lengthy chapter books, I became entranced. There was something captivating about the words fixed on the pages of the books we read together, words that could create the most vivid images in your head and induce the most unbelievable emotions. As I grew older, I began to take the time to read and eventually start my own pieces of writing. This helped me strengthen my vocabulary and improve my writing skills. I would begin to find myself spending all my free time writing, absorbing myself in the scenes that were playing out in my head and demanding to be put onto paper. The books I read would inspire me, fueling my desire to write my own fictional stories.

Aside from my parents, another person who attributed to my success in English was my 8th grade Pre-AP English teacher Mrs. Khulman. I have yet to meet another teacher who has impacted me in the ways she has. Her method of teaching consisted of combining English with life lessons, a result that would pierce your heart and leave you aching for more. From the first day of school to the last, she constantly reminded all of her students to "take the road less traveled", a piece she took from the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. She didn't want to simply enhance our writing and reading skills, she wanted to leave a lasting impact on our lives by teach us about taking direction and choosing different paths. By pouring herself into her teaching, Mrs. Khulman not only made me view English as more than just books and essays, but also left a lasting impression on me throughout my high school career.
By pouring herself into her teaching, Mrs. Khulman not only made me view English as more than just books and essays, but also left a lasting impression on me throughout my high school career.

You have said a lot about how you began to love the subject and what factors contributed to you being sucessful. However, you have not said anything as to how you excelled; I mean your achievements to show them that you have really excelled in this subject :)
OP theloveaffair 1 / 2  
Thank you! I'll be sure to incorporate that :)
OP theloveaffair 1 / 2  
Attempted to fix it.

Aside from my parents, another person who attributed to my success in English was my 8th grade Pre-AP English teacher Mrs. Khulman. I have yet to meet another teacher who has impacted me in the ways she has. Her method of teaching consisted of combining English with life lessons, a result that would pierce your heart and leave you aching for more. From the first day of school to the last, she constantly reminded all of her students to "take the road less traveled", a piece she took from the poem "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. She didn't want to simply enhance our writing and reading skills, she wanted to leave a lasting impact on our lives by teach us about taking direction and choosing different paths. By pouring herself into her teaching, she made English more than just books and essays, and ultimately left a lasting impression on me as well as my success in English. As I entered into high school, I was able to enroll and excel in both Pre-AP and AP English classes. My essays and research papers became fluid and concise and I was easily able to analyze pieces of writing set before me. Being introduced to English at such a young age and having influential teachers like Mrs. Khulman helped me not only become successful in English, but excel in my work as well.

Home / Scholarship / 'My parents and Pre-AP English teachar' -academic subject in which you excelled