Photography and African culture - Chevening Networking Essay review

Tobechukwu 3 / 8  

more organic relationships

Upon completion of my first degree in , I ventured into photography. My vision was to tell stories of African culture through photos and connect these stories with a global audience. Being a graduate of history my pictures reflected national heritage and the effects of violence in my community. Apart from being an avenue to spread peace,I also built it as a commercial outfit. I started by identifying individuals and businesses within my community that required photography services like event planners, bakeries, fashion and beauty industries. Having identified my target market, I made appointments with these business owners and pitched my business to them, within 2 months I had a business list of 87 contacts. , I learnt that networking involves being persistence as many of the contacts were not immediate clients,but gradually I realized that if I made myself valuable to the growth of their business, a better relationship would ensue . I began to offer quality work at discount prices, sometimes, at no cost like in the case of event centres, where hall arrangements images were delivered free for use on social media. Overtime my efforts began to pay off ;event centres began to recommend me to their clients who requested for photographers, this was good for business and simultaneously offered good content to share with the world.

I built another network around colleagues in the industry. By attending events, I availed myself of the expertise the older ones in the business were willing to share with me. For instance, my insistence on having contracts with clients before a job stems from the understanding I received from my mentor Mr Ayodele. In 2018 I held a workshop, the success of which was largely attributed to the guidance of my older colleagues, who provided insights and served as co-tutors. This network currently serves as a source for referrals from those who refer clients to me when their calendars are saturated with jobs.

I maintain my relationships with my contacts/ clients even after assistance and work is rendered, which increases my chances of future work with them. Furthermore, social media helps keep in touch with existing contacts and source for new ones; however, I have found that periodic visits, when possible, voice and video calls, builds a more organic relationship, than when only electronic messages are involved. The click of a button feature ensures that my stories are shared with the world in an instant.

The chevening scholarship will give me a leverage in my intent to reach a much wider audience. Upon completion of my programme, I intend to give back to my country by educating young people on workable approaches towards conflict resolution learnt during study years. Chevening scholars in my home country who are solution driven in areas of societal conflicts will be collaborated with for an extensive impact , furtherer strengthened by the support accessible through continued contact with the international chevening Alumnus. The possibilities are endless!
Maria - / 1,098 389  
@Tobechukwu
Hello! Welcome to the forum. I wish you luck in your Chevening application. Hopefully, this essay will somehow help you in writing.

Firstly, from the get-go, that first paragraph appears to be rather cluttered. Opt to compartmentalize your writing better. For example, talk about the purpose of the essay's composition and a brief background first. Afterwards, you may dedicate a completely separate paragraph to tackle your experiences in the field. Try to also prioritize what information you're putting out there, considering that you need to be able to convince the readers that you are worth being read.

Furthermore, I think you should focus more on the prospective of your career, rather than on what you have already gone through. Chevening is extremely competitive. One of the ways to give you leverage is if you are able to tackle what makes you a more worth it candidate for the long-run.
RSQL001 1 / 6  
You've handled all the requirements brilliantly, the only thing I might one to add is another example of leadership that isn't based off your photography skills.
OP Tobechukwu 3 / 8  
Chevening

Good day maria,
Thank you for reviewing my essay. I am not aure about what youe mean by the following
What do you mean by focus on the purpose of the essay and a brief background?
You also mention that I should concentrate on my career prospects rather than what I have gone through. The career prospects is the fourth category not this category which is the networking category. So can you shed more light on that?

Thank you.

Home / Scholarship / Photography and African culture - Chevening Networking Essay review