I do not posses the required funds to cover the cost of the program - CET Summer study scholarship

kontenurban 1 / 1  
Prompt: CET evaluates scholarship applicants on both merit and need. In 1-2 paragraphs, please explain why you are applying for a CET scholarship. Please mention any extenuating circumstances or special situations that might help CET make a decision in your favor. We encourage you to be as candid and forthcoming as you would like.

There is great truth in the saying "education is the key to success", especially in the world we live in today, yet it is rather disheartening to see how, although the common thought and expectation is that everyone should have equal access to learning, the reality is far from what we anticipate. While education should be a right, in many instances it is a privilege. Indeed this is stating the obvious but it cannot be overstated because they are to many people that are oblivious to the fact or simply chose to ignore it. The reason I am applying for the CET scholarship is because I do not posses the required funds to cover the cost of the program. Being the youngest of six children in my family, it is almost like being at the bottom of the food chain, not to say I lead a miserable life but when it comes to requesting financial assistance from your parents, all the resources have already been drained. I chose CET for my summer study abroad program because, unlike many other American study-abroad organizations you not only provide scholarships, you provide them regardless of ones background or citizenship. I am however not only applying for this scholarship as financial aid, but because I truly feel, as a hard working student I will commit myself to effectively take advantage of the opportunity. I am a person that is persistently academically motivated, but also continually try to improve what I have learnt by the implementation of that knowledge.
Konstantin, rather than using a line of reasoning that makes you sound like a spoiled brat, why not appeal for the scholarship based upon your positive qualities and traits that will be further honed and enhanced by your participation in the summer study program? Remember, just because you want to attend some activity and your parents cannot afford to pay for it, does not mean you deserve to get the scholarship. You need to present plans for your future development that align with the scholarship program you are applying to and your personal objectives as well. Right now, your scholarship letter does not really present any appealing and strong reason that should make you a strong contender for the scholarship. Remember, you need to make yourself stand out from the other applicants. So present positive traits and goals rather than complaints in your essay. That is what the scholarship committee will remember the most with this current essay, that you are complaining about being the youngest child and your parents having spent on the children before you so you can't get what you want. That is not the image you want to portray when applying for a scholarship. Revise the essay to show your positive traits.
OP kontenurban 1 / 1  
Thank you for the feedback! :)

Home / Scholarship / I do not posses the required funds to cover the cost of the program - CET Summer study scholarship