Unanswered [5] / Urgent [0] / SERVICES
 DrAfT!
Home / Scholarship   4

STRONG NETWORKING PREPARES ME TO BE READY IN THE FUTUTRE - Networking Question for Chevening

Hello, friends..
I hope you would proof-read my essay about networking skills for Chevening and can give me corrections and feedback on grammar, coherence, or whatsoever to be able to make it better. I highly appraised any kind of helps..

Thank you in advance..

Chevening is looking for individuals with strong networking skills, who will engage with the Chevening community and influence and lead others in their chosen profession. Explain how you meet this requirement, using clear examples of your networking skills, and outline how you hope to use these skills in the future. (minimum word count: 100 words, maximum word count: 500 words)

strong coordination between people

In my opinion, networking is built through strong coordination between people involved in a group. I had a great opportunity to show my networking skills during my first job in Directorate of Water Supply System Development (WSSD), Ministry of Public Works and Housing of Indonesia. I participated in PDAMs debt accomplishment meeting in order to build my network with stakeholders in the field of water all over Indonesia. From the meeting, I got chance to coordinate with other stakeholders, such as Ministry of Home Affair, Ministry of Finance, and Local Governments as well as PDAMs. On the other occasion on foreign cooperation program in water supply development sector, I widen my relation to international donors, such as JICA, NICHE/IDN, IUWASH, and IndII. We started the program on determining PDAMs that would accept either technical or training assistance. I used my network relation from debt completion program to get PDAM directors and local governments attention. To generate willingness to participate, I led PDAMs visit which had good and bad performance together with the donors, guided discussion as well as explained benefits of the assistance that could be obtained. Near the short list finalization, I kept coordinating to the donor's PICs to follow up the progress, while me reporting compatibility of the assistances with national water supply system master plan to the boss. As the result, we made 80 short listed PDAMs that would get different assistance in 2016 and 2017 from the donors. Those assistances would help PDAMs increase their capability of supplying water.

I also tried to cooperate with as many as people when I worked in construction field. Working with people from civil and architectural engineering and accounting became pacesetter of my networking to get whole knowledge about infrastructure construction. Through various projects, I acquired project management life cycle along with the challenges during execution. Due to technical drawing modification, the project had retardation and the owner pushed my company to start it immediately. My company sent me to represent my boss on coordination meeting with Construction Management Company discussing some changes. As junior engineer, I asked the project leader's instructions what works should be prioritized in this tight schedule. To be able to finish it on time, I communicated the jobs to all divisions, included my boss, project manager, purchase, finance, and cost control division, to work effectively according to their own authority. This was really a great resource to learn preparation, execution, and review of ongoing project and experience to build network with multi-disciplined partners.

In the future, I will devote my opportunity to strengthen my network relation with Chevening community. I will invite Chevening awardees through actual and virtual forum criticizing water management condition in Indonesia. Besides that, this will encourage the community to presenting perspectives and exchanging experiences through integrated world culture on solving water management issues to stakeholders, engineers, and other parties.

Ni, the most relevant networking skill that you have is the one you presented at the start of the essay. Not only is it the most relevant, but it is the most recent as well. It contains more than enough examples of networking skills that you can expand upon in order to meet the word count for the essay. If I were the one writing this essay, I would remove the reference to the construction company because it is very generic in presentation and does not contain any impressive sounding influencing activities. You want to impress the reviewer by letting him know that you developed an important network of professional participants in this field of yours. That way, you clearly represent, in an obvious manner I mean, the method by which you can use these organizations and people in the improvement of your field of work upon your return. This will also show that you will be capable of mentoring and assisting other scholars in the future who may be studying a masters degree along the same line as yours. Your plans for future promotion of Chevening through the network is well thought out but could be lengthened in presentation. So far, you have written a good draft. The problem is, you will lose half the essay once you remove the construction networking discussion. Therefore, it would be best if you expanded upon the discussion in relation to your most recent networking skills instead. That would be a better highlight discussion for this essay prompt.
Thank you very much @Holt for your nice comment. I will try to expand the discussion about my most recent and relevant to what I am going to pursue in UK thorough Chevening. I will work on it and post it soon and hope you will give me more feedback.
Hi..
Please give me correction and feedback on my revised essay below. I highly appreciate all kind of helps.
Thank you..

In my opinion, networking [....] Ministry of Finance, and Local Governments as well as PDAMs. I did an intensive communication with Person in Contact (PICs) of those institutions about the progress of the debt completion. Through this way, I showed my communicative skill to encourage those two ministries and PDAMs directors to make this program urgent and need to be legalized by Director General in each ministry and Governors in each province. I was really grateful to have that duty, so I came to new responsibility in wider scale.

I also tried to cooperate with as many as people when I got new responsibility in MPWH. As an Individual Consultant, I assisted foreign cooperation program in water supply development sector, between Indonesia and international donors, such as JICA, NICHE/IDN, IUWASH, and IndII. It required us to evaluate and observe water supply system all over Indonesia before the donors giving an aid to the selected regions. The selection was based on some considerations, such as PDAMs performance, service coverage, human resource, local government support, and water resources availability. We started the program on determining PDAMs that would accept either technical or training assistance. I used my network relation from debt completion program to get PDAM directors and local governments attention. To generate willingness to participate, I led PDAMs visit which had good and bad performance together with the donors. On that field visit, I also guided discussion between PDAM staffs, local government representatives, and donors as well as explained benefits of the assistances that could be obtained by the PDAMs and regions themselves. I emphasized on technical assistance through increasing PDAMs service coverage to achieve MDGs target and capacity development through training of PDAMs human resources. Near the short list finalization, I kept coordinating to the donor's PICs to follow up the progress, while me reporting compatibility of the assistances with national water supply system master plan to the boss. As the result, we made 80 short listed PDAMs in total that would get different assistances in 2016 and 2017 from the donors. Those assistances would help PDAMs increase their capability of supplying water.

In the future, I will devote my opportunity to [....]

Home / Scholarship / STRONG NETWORKING PREPARES ME TO BE READY IN THE FUTUTRE - Networking Question for Chevening