Studying applied ethics in sports - Personal Statement for Erasmus+ Scholarship MAISI

nanonano 1 / -  

application for Master of Arts in Sports Ethics and Integrity

Dear all, I have drafted my personal statement for applying Erasmus+ Scholarship in Master of Arts in Sports Ethics and Integrity. I would like you to kindly review my essay. Thank you in advance.

I am Bastian, an Indonesian who obtained the undegraduate degree in Accounting from Universitas. During my study on campus, I learned about fraud examination and professional ethics in which I am so much interested in human behaviour in business process compliance. Later, it led me to work for a public accountants firm for almost two years where I did assurance service for diverse clients and applied professional values in practice like integrity and anti-bribery. Through this job I learned that self-confidence is highly required to fight against poor of ethical situation. In relation to this, I would like to join in the Master of Arts in Sports Ethics and Integrity (MAiSI) programme to enhance my knowledge and skill on applied ethics.

For me, studying applied ethics in sports will be a fascinating experience. I want to test whether self-esteem also has relation with the athletes' integrity or not. I will take it as my thesis topic due to inspired by the London 2012 Olympic Games' scandal where four pairs of women's doubles sector including an Indonesian duo were disqualified from the badminton court because match-fixing charge. I think this issue was raised from their nerves of duel with strong opponents. As a fan of this sport, I want to employ dialogic process, a method that I regularly use for problem solving, to testify my assumption. I believe the academic staffs will transfer their knowledge on nature and significance effect of human being for problems in sport to support my research project.

However, I do not see it as only a problem of the athletes. My previous education taught me that the situation like match system also created this fraudulent issue. It could open an opportunity for doing misconducts. Hence, it is crucial for me to study on how to detect ethical challenges in sport management which will be delivered in Sports Management and Integrity. I am sure this module will complement my skill on assessing potential risks of regulation of the sport that lead to personal greed and dishonesty. Moreover, the result of this study will equip me to propose recommendation for the governing body in improving sports management.

I have been searching similiar master's programme in Indonesia and made a comparison with the MAiSI project. I concluded that this programme is the best option to apply for, as the consortium offers full scholarships and practical placement within the partners. It is essential for me to apply my gained knowledge into real world in finding best practice of sports management.

Upon the completion of the MAiSI programme, I will have a specialization in sports administration. It will be a fittest career for me to contribute my knowledge and skill in sports ethics management through multi stakeholders approach. I will particularly work for sports' governing body and hold in-class training for athlete and coach regarding ethical issue in their profession in order to advance understanding in ethics in Indonesia's sports world.
The personal statement is a bit difficult to understand. You have not really made any clear background reference in relation to the development of your interest in Sports Ethics. Your undergraduate studies can be mentioned in the personal statement. However, the professional exposure you had in relation to your chosen MS course is more important. I do not see any relationship reference in your essay. The actual presentation lacks direction. There is no true reference as to why EM is the scholarship that you chose. Your reason is too weak. There is no proof that this course and the scholarship will be useful to your future career based on your potential after study career plans. This is only a draft essay. You have to work on the discussion some more. Make it clearer in terms of references, experience, and career plans. Specifically, use a stronger reason for choosing to apply to this scholarship in particular.

Home / Scholarship / Studying applied ethics in sports - Personal Statement for Erasmus+ Scholarship MAISI