Volunteering at equine therapy center for autistic kids/ Contribution to community

s23180185 2 / 5  
Discuss your involvement in and contributions to a community near your home, school or elsewhere. What did you accomplish? How did this experience influence your goals?

It's for a big scholarship. Any feedback would be great. Be harsh on me lol. I really need scholarship money. thank you so much!!!

"Mom, I forgot to tell you. I have to go to..."
"Did you know that George Washington was six foot three and over two hundred pounds?"
"Daniel, Stephanie was talking; you have to wait your turn."
"I have to go to the sto..."
"They would send him to negotiate with the French during the French and Indian War because he was so intimidating and..."
"Daniel, you have to learn to wait your turn."
That's Daniel for you. He is my autistic fourteen year old brother. Understanding and accepting what autistic means has been one of the most challenging things I have ever done. We had always known that Daniel was different from other kids, but it wasn't until he was about ten that we discovered he had Asperger's Syndrome. Daniel's Asperger's completely flipped our lives upside down. We had to learn to get rid of certain habits we had in our home. We had to make time for weekly therapy and psychologist visits. But the hardest thing we had to do is learn how he thinks and how to deal with certain situations. I honestly don't think I would have ever been able to do this without my experience of volunteering at his equine therapy center. The involvement gave me something I don't think I could have learned from any book or website, an appreciation for not only Daniel's autism but every other rider at the center. I met kids just like Daniel and it helped me understand what made him not different but "special" and so precious. After four years working with the autistic kids, Mr. Mike, and Mrs. Dianne, I feel as if the Daniel I know now is a completely different person. They taught me so many things about Daniel that I never noticed before we knew he had autism. So many things clicked as I talked with Dianne about Daniel's Asperger's, everything made sense- his habits, mood swings, characteristics. As my thirst for knowledge about autism grew, Mr. Mike explained to me that I would learn so much more if I would come and meet the kids and volunteer as a side-walker. I have to admit I was reluctant to accept but I did, and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made.

When I began working at the center, I was a tad nervous to be working with the more severe autistic kids; Damian, CJ, and Evilio. Like so many other people, I really just didn't know what to do or how to act around the bunch. Simply put, they were different. I was unsure if I should talk to them, or if they would even understand me if I did. I didn't know what to do if they started pulling my hair, like I had seen them do to other side-walkers. Do I say "no"? Do they know what "no" means? The first few times of volunteering were like that. But Mr. Mike was great explaining to me which kids understood more and which understood less. Soon enough I knew all the perks and peeves about all the kids. Never wear sunglasses or hats with Damian, he likes to steal them. When Damian makes noises and does hand motions, he wants me to mimic him. Evilio understands more; he like to grab the reigns and tell Dream (the horse) what to do. Hold onto CJ lightly on the foot he doesn't like to be touched on the leg. CJ doesn't have good balance so I always keep a sharp eye on him. After about two months of volunteering I felt like I had known the boys for years. I wasn't nervous about going there. Quite the contrary, I absolutely loved it and couldn't wait for Saturday morning to roll around again. I understood these kids, I could tell what they wanted and I could tell when they were happy or upset. I saw the pure innocence in them, how the simplest things filled them with joy. The transformation that I saw from twelve year old Evilio as he mounted the horse was amazing. He literally squealed with delight, his cries of laughter bellowed though the field as he circled the ring. The sound of his loud voice screaming "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Look Mommy," always brings a smile to my face. I'm so grateful that I have had the pleasure of working with kids like Evilio.

And it's something that I hope to do in the future. I have always known that I wanted to be a doctor and I wanted to specialize in some field, but I just never had any clue what to specialize in. Working at the equine therapy center these past few years had made me sincerely want to continue my work with autistic kids and specialize in neurological and developmental services. One day, I hope to acquire a position at the Miami Children's Hospital Dan Marino's Outpatient Center which assists kids with autism and cognitive disorders from all over the world. It seems like the perfect place for me and I hope one day I can be a part of their amazing outreach.
shmegg 7 / 26 1  
Daniel's Asperger's completely flipped our lives upside down.

I know you didn't mean it in this way, but it sounds sort of harsh. I know where youre coming from so try something like it turned our world upside down for the better; teaching us to look for the positives in everything, to be grateful, etc. Or something less aprupt sounding.

Also near the final sentences, add something about your brother. It makes it special and personal.

I really enjoyed this essay and topic. Goodluck :)
jakk1994 2 / 22 2  
Maybe preface the intro quotations with who said them or some other marker.

Home / Scholarship / Volunteering at equine therapy center for autistic kids/ Contribution to community