Wings are meant to fly: Letter of Self-Introduction - 2017 KGSP Graduate Program

Fab 3 / 5 5  
Hello!
I will apply for the 2017 KGSP Graduate Program and among other things a letter of self introduction is requested.

English is not my first language and I feel as if everything I write sounds sort of cold (not to mention the mistakes ^^") so I hope you could help me with this, It's really important to me as I've been waiting for this chance for years and I don't want to mess it up. So thank you in advance to whoever will help me.

Oh, I almost forgot. There is a part in brackets at the end of the third paragraph because I wasn't sure wether I should include it or not in the final essay, it wouldn't be included like that in the final draft ^^

Letter of Self - Introduction

fascination with the human body

I grew up in a quite ordinary middle class family. My mother is a middle school science teacher, my father was a lawyer and I also have an older sister who is currently doing a phD in geophysics. Since I was little my parents always made sure that I had all the necessary means to get the best learning experience that I could get. This led our family to move from our small town in a bigger city, with some of the best schools in the country, to give us a better education than what we could have had in the place where we were born. They also ensured that we were constantly exposed to all sorts of information trough reading and also through the clever use of more modern means such as television and internet. Growing up in such an environment made me an extremely curious person and I have been -and still am- constantly intrigued by the chance of learning new things. It's all thanks to them and their sacrifices that I managed to get where I wanted to, because they not only encouraged me to pursue my dreams but also gave me the means to fight for them,

As to why I decided to become a doctor, well I remember being fascinated by my mother's anatomy books when I was little and I was intrigued by how the human body worked and how a disease interfered with its normal functioning, but it wasn't until I met my high school science professor that I began to desire to pursue a career in medicine. Once she detected my interest in this particular field she encouraged me to joined some more medicine focused extra curricular activities and by the end of the school year I knew that that was what I really wanted to do in my life.

After being successfully admitted to the College of Medicine in University of Siena, I began this journey that I dreamt of so much. Even though the first years were tough, I remember discovering it was all worth it during my first clerkship. There is nothing that can explain how do you feel when you see exactly what all those nights spent on books, all the frustration and the stress are needed for. There I realized what a huge impact our choice has on people lives. Of course we all kind of know that we are in charge of people's lives, but I don't think one can fully understand it until he sees the sheer gratitude in the patient's eyes and suddenly I found myself driven by a different force. During my clerkships I developed an early interest in plastic surgery, especially I was fascinated by the head and neck oncology surgery. From my fourth year up to my sixth year I began an elective clerkship, along as my regular ones, in that field and it led me to fantastic opportunities, such as an hands-on course at the University René Descartes of Paris. During those two years I came to realize that among the many branches of the medical science, I had found the one that was made for me. (In my last year I was also offered to work on a very interesting study about the organic causes of anxiety and depression. It was an incredibly interesting study and due to my natural curiosity towards new things I was tempted by one of the last chances to learn something new. So in agreement with my plastic surgery professor, who always indulged my inquisitive side, I accepted and surprised everyone graduating with a psychiatry oriented thesis. )

Even though I graduated with top grades and passed my license exam in the top 5% of the nation, I did not plan to immediately began with a residency as I wanted to progress my studies further in my field of interest. Italy has quite a new school of plastic surgery and still there so no much investment in developing it further, therefore I knew that if I wanted to further my knowledge I had to go abroad. When I had to choose my destination, I had no doubt that it was Korea. I have been interested in south-eastern Asia since I was in high school and particularly I have always been fond of Korea and its culture. When I began to be interested in plastic surgery as well, it didn't take me long to discover that among all the things that fascinated me before, the Country also had the best plastic surgery school in the world. Top class technology paired with the world's highest investment in scientific research is something that I could never have in my home country. In addition Korea is also an old country with lot of history and it took its well deserved relevant place in the modern world without giving up its traditional values. I'm sure that progressing with my studies in such an environment would not only be beneficial to me as a professional but also as a person and I always believed that in our field one can't be a good doctor without being a good person first. All those reasons make me want to take this chance in trying to be part of that world that until now I could only admire from afar. After all far things will never get close to us, if we don't make a first step towards them. I feel that I was blessed to be born in a family that did everything to give me wings, it would be a shame if I didn't at least try to fly.
Fabiola, the portion that you have in parenthesis is not necessary because it doesn't relate to your becoming an advanced plastic surgeon. I assume that is the masters degree you are applying to right? Something in the field of medical science related to that? So you don't need that unrelated information. When you discuss the development of your interest, do not go all the way back to childhood and your mother's anatomy books. Instead, focus on how your interest in plastic surgery grew and developed. What intrigued you about plastic surgery? What motivates you to become the best plastic surgeon that you can be? Answer those two questions and your motivation to enroll in this course becomes clear.

Your reason for studying in Korea needs to be made more definite. You say that Korea has the best plastic surgery school. So, tell the reader, what school is that? Have you already applied for admission? Were you accepted or do you hope to be accepted? What set that university apart from the others in your mind so that you feel like you cannot accomplish the proper advanced training you desire by studying in a different country ? What is it about Korean surgery that makes you feel like you can succeed there?

Try your best to show a familiarity with the educational requirements of the Korean university and why you are confident that you can deliver their expectations? These are the tweaks that your essay needs in order to deliver the missing link in terms of information in your letter of self - introduction.

Home / Scholarship / Wings are meant to fly: Letter of Self-Introduction - 2017 KGSP Graduate Program