I am writing for my NTU scholarship essay, "Practice Makes Perfect".

RowenTey 1 / -  
Prompt: Describe, in less than 300 words, the values and beliefs you hold strongly to. Please provide examples of how you have demonstrated these in your actions.

Practice Makes Perfect

Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

I look up to the late NBA legend, Kobe Bryant. He inspired me to not only start playing basketball but to also put in the hours to perfect it. To that end, I played almost every day, shooting an average of 200 shots per day to build up muscle memory. There was always a glimpse of me every evening playing with the local community. I made up for my lack in height with speed, stamina and skills. I saw the fruit of my practices when I led my team to 1st-runner up in our inter-house tournament by landing the final shot of that game which I shot countless times before the game. It was all worth it.

Writing used to be my weakness. I always identified myself as more of an analytical person. Expressing my thoughts and feelings with words clearly was something I was once not capable of. Hence, I sought out the help of my teacher. I would practice writing essays over and over again, trying various different styles until I found one I could call my own. Gradually, I was able to see little improvements in my writing, realizing that it is not as difficult as I imagine it to be. In the end, I wrote the best essay I possibly could in SPM and scored an A+. I was so proud of myself.

To me, nothing is ever too hard or impossible. A person who is truly hungry for success does not make excuses. Therefore, I will constantly chase after my dreams by practicing all the necessary skills until I perfected them.
Your approach to the discussion is incorrect. Sure Kobe Bryant was an idol to millions, but he does not represent personal values and beliefs that you hold strongly to. If you believe in these things, because of the influence of someone else as opposed to you believing in these things based on character building references, then you are not on the right path within your response.

You do not represent any actual belief or values in this essay. Had you been asked "Discuss something of value or importance to you" then you could have used this prompt. If you have the chance to replace the prompt, then replace the prompt and use this essay. Use the prompt I previously described. If you cannot, then you have to change the total essay, making it focus on a related belief and value system instead.
FAWAZ 1 / 1 1  
@RowenTey
I did apply for a scholarship at NTU in 2018 and I had 25% reduction in my tuition fees. I quite remember, In answering this question, I hammered on the skills that life had taught Me through my experiences. I explained how for instance taking care of 2 younger siblings had made me an astute problem solver among others, Try to be more exemplifying and realistic.

Home / Scholarship / I am writing for my NTU scholarship essay, "Practice Makes Perfect".