Home / Student Talk % width Posts: 71

Exam passing tips - its my final year

cantonhero 2 / 2  
If in doubt, send an email to your tutors or professor!

I used to be so afraid to email them, but they honestly help so much - it's what they are there for.
zhoudongzhou 5 / 16  
Find a writing TA in your school.
catagon 1 / 2  
if its a math or science final, memorize all the key formulas and laws every day for a week. If you get those down, its a plug and chug fest.
OP kayondo 1 / 4  
my senior six exams we have been doing our mocks but still no gd results.kayondo
orlando 13 / 94  
Some of you guys will recall me from my essays I posted here. Hopefully I will be studying postgraduate(law) at an overseas university in 2010. I have 5 subjects to pass and I am planning to study part time ( 1 subject in 1st year and the rest in 2nd year) It may not sound rational but I think I should concentrate on this one subject first year so I can improve my English at the same time and get used to the terms etc. I just took a look at exam papers of previous years. I understand the question and I know what the answer should be. However, I do not know how to write it properly on the answer sheet. Do you think I can improve this skill during my study ? Of course it is up to me but you guys know a lot about these study issues. How should I plan my study ?

Thanks
umiunme 1 / 3  
How you perform in your exam also depends on the atmosphere around you.
firstly go to the examination hall atleast 20 min earlier and don't concentrate much on your surroundings.
Close your eyes and meditate if possible ...
When the question paper is given to you , start concentrating completely on the paper and one question at a time and if you come across any question which you don't know , attempt it at the last.ALL THE BEST!!!
qudos 2 / 7  
check out some learning strategies. Meaning what can aid in your learning, remembering or making connections. There are a few things that you need to realise. That is if you are learning of facts, concepts, procedures or problem-solving. Each of these requires different learning style. Before you can differentiate concepts, you need to what that makes up the concept and before you know how to do a procedure, you must know the concepts involved. Some learning strategies you can try are mnemonics, concept/mind map, flowcharts. Good luck!
juliat cung 1 / 2  
Study hard and be papered!! That should do it. Oh by the way have confident in your self.
GoldSwimmer 2 / 5  
More details please? But in general I have always found studying with friends has helped more than cramming on my own. So start early :)
zhangyitao 2 / 4  
Heyy, for me what works is that I leave the content heavy subjects till the very end, like those with a lot of memory work such as biology and do the math and physics first. You dont forget the theory of how to do questions that fast, but information is forgotten more easily, so it might be useful to leave the info heavy ones till later and cram in short term memory

Good luck! I'm taking As too so thats what im doing
brianw 2 / 3  
Study frequently and often. Make up your own questions as you study and review them at your pace. Asking the instructor for sample tests can give you some insight into how they phrase their questions.

What works best for me is after I finish a test, I do the test backwards. Read the answer and then try to guess the question.
mandyhhhhhhhh 2 / 2  
well, i think as long as you willing to pay, you could pass it!
tinkywinky 2 / 2  
Be ORAGANIZED with your notes and test materials. Just reading your notes over and over and over in your head would not improve your memorization as much as reading your notes out loud or writing would do.
st21 3 / 10  
Buy the book!! The English AP exam does not require you to be a genius, but practice! Going over annotation skills, literature terms, and it is also very useful to go to the college boards website and look their scoring scale, this gave me a good insight on what they wanted! Good sleep and breakfast are a must. Good luck!
OP kayondo 1 / 4  
thanks thats rely encouraging
Poojasugandhi 18 / 35  
Don't get panic with th exam.
keep watch on time so as to finish it on time.
soul997 2 / 5  
All I can say is Study! or have a group study that's what I do.
gorush 4 / 13  
If you study regularly, and solving many AP problems as much as possible.

If you borrow AP book from someone, it will be helpful so much.
hakimhusein 6 / 10  
You know I always thought it was really helpful to do your studying well in advance before the actual exam. Let's say you have a test this Friday for example. Study if possible, at least a week in advance and on Thursday (the day before the exam) do something really relaxing, not necessarily go out and party but have some fun. Almost forget the exam if you can. That way, at least for me anyways helps me in not over studying or getting test anxiety.
Christinasha07 1 / 10  
A good way to remember certain things is to keep writing them down. I've heard that a person remembers 80% of what they write down rather than just trying memorize it.
timeturner36 8 / 26  
It's always extremely to write practice essays again and again and time yourself so that you wouldn't run out of time at the exam. This has always helped me with SAT and AP questions haha
edgardz21 5 / 11  
Talk to yourself while you study and write everything you need to memorize.
serenesky 2 / 2  
For me, it depends on what subject I'm being tested on.
Math I would find examples in my textbook or copy questions from worksheets and redo them.
History, Science I rewrite/reread my notes.
English I would go through my books and notes again.
Memorize lists on your fingers. For example, I want to memorize the "Five Regulatings" taught by Dr. Yang Jwing Ming, so I do this:

- Regulate the Body: on my index finger (I point to my body)
- Regulate the Breath: on my middle finger (because I would need to use my longest finger to reach down into my lungs.
- Regulate the Mind: on my ring finger, because marriage is something I would have to think about a long time in my mind.
- Regulate the Energy: on my little finger (because with an abundance of bioelectric energy I can be very powerful even with my little finger.)
- Regulate the Spirit: on my thumb (because I give a "thumbs up" to anyone who stays in high spirits.

The trick is to look at a finger for each item on a list, and make a mental image. It does not have to be a strong association.. just a very loose association.

That way, when it is time for your exam, you will remember each item by looking on your fingers. Just be careful when you are looking at your fingers: the teacher might think you have a cheat sheet in your hand!
Mah_Bad 1 / 5  
Look into Anki on Google. It will help in long term memorization as long as you use it.

Study guides for AP classes have greatly helped me as well.
emily9587 3 / 5  
Yeah, I agree. Especially, McGraw Hill has pretty good explanation. Barron is pretty difficult and Kaplan is pretty easy.
Good Luck! :)
EKI 4 / 4  
If I were you, I would keep practicing and reviewing past exams. If you can successfully answer those questions, you might be ready!
thaiham95 3 / 7  
"Practice makes perfect". Don't hesitate to start your own practice.
John9041 3 / 6  
Do all of your homework and read your textbook. Then repeat your homework to make sure you are consistant. Most textbooks have reviews at the end of each chapter that can also be beneficial.
KhanhZ 5 / 131 7  
I don't know about you guys, but before any exam -- be it a final or a semester one -- I always take a rest and relax during the day before the exam.(of course before that day I have to study thoroughly). Helps a lot for me, I don't get overloaded and hold pretty much all the learned material in my head.
welnorze 8 / 15  
I always review all the materials related and then summarize important topics and theories with classmates.

Home / Student Talk / Exam passing tips - its my final year