"The academics is the most important factor" - Why Duke Essay?

CollegeFlowers7 6 / 5  
Hi! I'm looking for a bit of assitance with this essay. Please read and comment!
If you are applying to Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, please discuss why you consider Duke a good match for you. Is there something in particular at Duke that attracts you? Please limit your response to one or two paragraphs.

For me, the most important factor in deciding on a college is not the area itself, but the academics. In my opinion, the most engaging qualities of Duke University lie in the detailed academic programs offered therein. At Trinity College of Arts and Sciences, I can sample a little slice of everything ranging from foreign languages to medieval and renaissance studies to economics. Attending Duke would be in my own best interests, because I don't want to be forced to take the straight and narrow road to my career path; at Duke, I can take multiple different routes and stop, take in the sights, or study more than just my major, along the way.

My intended major at Duke is economics, and the thought of what Duke has to offer me is almost overwhelming. The economics department in particular offers specific classes in international business and an opportunity to study in a different U.S. city, or outside of the country, that would absolutely prepare me for starting and managing my own business in this country and abroad, especially so in other countries where what I intend to do may be needed more so than in this country. You see, what I would like to do is set up a multitude children's recreational facilities, where they can come and learn, socialize, and play among others without having to worry about being in a hazardous environment. The Children in Contemporary Society Certificate is another academic program related to my goals that I find exciting in Duke. With this certificate available as a side study along with Economics; I can have the best of both and combine the two studies to make my goal much more than just the idea in my head.

What I find appealing beyond these key features as well is the ability to further study my own independent interests as well. All my life, I've had a love of Medieval History and at Duke I can take excellent courses in this department. I would also like to attempt to learn a few languages other than English, one I will find useful to my career pursuits, Hindi, and another for my own pleasure, Romanian. At Duke all these things will come together and I can form my own, unique schedule of learning. The icing on the cake is the campus that's not only physically breathtaking, but bursting with school pride and understanding, remarkable peers and professors. Duke University is the top notch choice for extensive learning and community life.
bng10160 1 / 2  
Hey! I think this is really good. You're very straight to the point with it. There are just a few minor things I noticed:

Attending Duke would be in my own best interests, because I don't want to be forced to take the straight and narrow road to my career path.A t Duke, I can take multiple different routes and stop, take in the sights, or study more than just my major, along the way.

My intended major at Duke is economics, and the thought of what Duke has to offer me is almost overwhelming. I just think it sounded a bit funny with Duke said twice in once sentence

The economics department in particular offers specific classes in international business and an opportunity to study in a different U.S. city, or outside of the country, thatwhich would absolutely prepare me for starting and managing my own business in this country and abroad; especially so in other countries where what I intend to do may be needed more so than in this country.

You seeApart from my interests in Economics , what I would like to do is set up a multitude of children's recreational facilities, where they can come and learn, socialize, and play among others without having to worry about being in a hazardous environment.

What I find appealing beyond these key features as well is the ability to further study my own independent interests as well.

The icing on the cake is thethat Duke has a campus that's not only physically breathtaking, but bursting with school pride and understanding, remarkable peers and professors.(this sentence seems a bit awkward. idk) Duke University is the top notchmy top choice for extensive learning and community life.

Home / Undergraduate / "The academics is the most important factor" - Why Duke Essay?