African American / Hurricane Katrina ; Eugene Lang College- I've been in minority

lionesha1 1 / 1  
Hi, I have not finished it yet but the material that I am concerned with is all there. Please tell my if its good or not or on the right path and grammatical mistakes.

I've been a minority on several occasions but the one with the most impact is when I was the only African American student in my class in junior high school. The way I was thrust into being the only African American student in my class was because of Katrina, The disastrous category five Hurricane that hit and swallowed up my home town of New Orleans, Louisiana in 2005. When Hurricane Katrina hit majority of the city was flooded forcing more than half the city to evacuate, including my family. For my family Fort Smith, Arkansas was the place we evacuated to, it was a rural place that had grassy smells. This was something that I never seen or smell when I lived New Orleans. When moving into my new home I had discovered that my family was one of two Black families living on that block, discovering this made m nervous about starting school the next week. This anxiety grew even more once I learned that my race related neighbors only child would be attending the Senior High school across the street. In my head this meant that I wouldn't have an ally if faced with adversity but there was no way out of it I had to start school. When first arriving at my new school I felt my face flushing, and my heart racing but entering the class room made me more nervous since everyone was quiet, had strange facial expressions and as I guessed were white. Those strange looks made me just want to run out of the school and leave, but then I remember that I was a new student starting at a small school in the middle of the year, of course I would be receiving looks of curiosity. The teacher welcomed me with a hug, something that I didn't expect. She asked me to introduce myself to the class, I moved front and center of the room and said "My name is Lionesha Dyson and I am sort of a New Orleans refugee". The class looked confused and just clap for the sake of comfort. Later in the class during free time two girls, both white, came to my desk to ask me many questions. Before they could ask me I assume they were going to insult me so I put up my mental defense wall. When they began talking their question were very different from what I expected. They asked things like was I afraid during the hurricane and how I did get my hair so curly. After talking to them I could not believe how prejudice and unwelcoming I was. I thought since I was the minority I would be bombarded with hate. This made me realized I wouldn't get anywhere in life like that and being the minority isn't always bad. After this experience
OP lionesha1 1 / 1  
Help need, deadline approaching. Will be happy to look over something you have written.
moon05 13 / 133 20  
When Hurricane Katrina hit, majority of the city was flooded forcing more than half the city to evacuate, including my family.

do not place a comma before INCLUDING

For my family Fort Smith, Arkansas was the place we evacuated to, it was a rural place that had grassy smells.

We evacuated to Fort Smith, Arkansas a rural place with grassy smell.

This was something that I had never seen or smelled when I lived in New Orleans.

When moving into my new home I had discovered that my family was one of the two Black families living on that block, discovering this made me nervous about starting school the next week.

This anxiety grew even more once I learned that my race related neighborsthe other family's only child would be attending the Senior High school across the street.

n my head this meant that I wouldn't have an ally if faced with adversity but there was no way out of it as I had to start school

When they began talking their question were very different from what I expected.

I was wrong about them, which I realized as soon as they began to ask their questions.

They asked things like, was I afraid during the hurricane and how I did get my hair so curly.

Yes you seem to be on the right path, with many grammatical issues. I hope you will give the ending with the same flow and post it again to get a review. Anyway it was nice.

Home / Undergraduate / African American / Hurricane Katrina ; Eugene Lang College- I've been in minority