"Alessia for the world" - ESSAY ABOUT MY NAME.

alicepozzi 2 / 5  
Hey guys... How is it going? I just registered again...I'm Alice and I have already used this website like a couple of times but I lost my password and I changed my email so..here I am again!

My assignment is:
what is your name? what does your name mean? who named you? why were you named the way you were? How do you feel your name represents you? Do you have nick names? Preferred names?

If you HAD to change your name, what name would you choose and why would you choose it. Try to choose a name that in some way represents who you are or would like to be.

So, I already laid out the hook, the two body paragraphs and my conclusion. Can you just check some typos and expression which might not be correct?

there you go:

Alessia. For a short period of my life, right after I was born, I was Alessia for the world. No, my mother didn't take into account the possibility that I could have a "blown s" or the fact that my last name wouldn't have matched well with my first name. Alessia Pozzi. Doesn't it sound bad? But she just did not care. She would whisper my name in my ear again and again, while holding me in her arms for the very first time and observing every inch of my newborn body. "Alessia Pozzi, Alessia Pozzi" she would keep saying, as to try to imprint that name on my mind. It was when my four-years-old sister came into the hospital room that my mother changed her mind. "Where's Alice?" she asked away, and from that moment on I just became Alice.

I don't know what finally made my mother choose Alice over Alessia, but it probably has something to do with the fact that my name appears many times in the Victorian literature, which my mother extremely loves. Alice is the young lady who finds herself in a marvelous land, in Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and in "Through the Looking Glass". What is more, according to both my parents, my name sounds sweet and it has a great meaning, which I think really reflects my personality. Whether it derives from the ancient German form "Adelaide" or from the French form "Aalis", the significance of Alice has to be found in "nobleness". From other sources, though, I have found out that the origin of my name is Greek and that either can it mean "truth", or "magical creature of the sea".

When I was a child, I used to change my name while playing. I don't remember which names I used to pick but, in hindsight, I definitely think that this "play-pretend" made me feel an adult. I ended up thinking that, from children's eyes, changing their own names is a big deal; it is like they are giving themselves the opportunity to give birth to new characters, which they will use to play. They assimilate a name with an identity, they feel like they have the control of their lives, and that is why they are so excited when it comes to choosing a new one.

When you get older, though, I believe you stop desiring to change your name. It's either because you had grown affectionate to it, or because you understand it doesn't affect your life at all. You realize that changing your name will not make you automatically be a new one and you get aware that the things that determine your personality and that make you feel in control of your life are all the other choices you make.

However, if I really had to change my name, I would pick Dafne. Not only do I love the way it sounds, but also do I appreciate its meaning. Its roots are Greek and it means "laurel tree", which was originally a virtuous nymph who was transformed in plant by some God, after having escaped from the attentions of Apollo her whole life. It may sound the mythological story of a helpless lady, but what I like about it is that it reminds me of how God will eventually save innocents from a cruel destine. I don't feel like this nymph represents me anyhow, but this name just makes me feel "safe" in general.

Regardless of the beauty of the name "Dafne", I wouldn't change my name for anyone else. First of all, since children always speak the truth, I consider it a "sign" that my sister chose it when she was four-years-old. Secondly, I love the fact that it is a sort of international name; it works, indeed, in English, in French and in Italian. What is more, thanks to the shortness of my name, I do not get to be given too many nick names, which I dislike. In fact, the majority of the times, my friends in Italy just use the "american" pronunciation of it, when they feel like vary it.
rezzydemption 1 / 1  
Hi Alessia
i think you should change this first..
"Alessia Pozzi, Alessia Pozzi" she would keep saying, as if she was trying to imprint that name on my mind.

also...
Regardless of the beauty of the name "Dafne", I wouldn't change my name maybe "to anything else" for anyone else.
.here I am again!

hello again!

ha ha, I like rezzydemption's username...

No, my mother didn't take into account the possibility that I could have a "blown s"--- I don't get it.

which my mother extremely loves.----- extremely does not quite work here.

When you get older, though, I believe you stop desiring to change your name.

Unless you are wanted by the mob, the law, etc!!!! :-)

Capitalize American.

This is excellent, Allie! It's good when you can take a subject like this and write so well that it becomes interesting to others. Usually, if you talk about your name for a few minutes, people get bored, but not this time!
OP alicepozzi 2 / 5  
Thank you Kevin. I tried my best to not be lame :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Alessia for the world" - ESSAY ABOUT MY NAME.