Application for the math program of the university of Waterloo - AIF form essay

remy 1 / 1  

waterloo aif form mathematics

I am applying for the math program of the university of waterloo, feel free to give any advice, I am a foreign student, so if there are any grammar or wording problems, please point them out, thank you.

Reasons for choosing your program and Waterloo (*Required)
Please tell us about your educational goals, your interest in your chosen program(s), and your reasons for applying to the University of Waterloo. If you have applied to more than one program please discuss your interest in each program. (900 character limit)

As a future math major student, I look forward to laying a foundation for my future career choice. Math is the fundamental panacea for almost every area, so during the process of learning different courses, I believe I can find the one career I am interested and adept in. Personally, my being preserving and rational lead my interest to the science field, especially math, which is tightly logically connected, allowing me to solve problems step by step. Choosing U of W for it having an entire faculty just for math, the rich recourses and options provide for me are Incomparable to all other universities in Canada. Also, considering my family's financial condition, waterloo's prestigious coop program matches my needs of enriching my employment experience and paying my tuition. I believe what I received in U of W can highlight my value and lead me to success
You do not have any real academic goals presented that actually relate to Waterloo. What is more evident in your essay is that you want to attend Waterloo to be able to work in the country, on a student visa. Which is definitely a purpose that will get you eliminated from consideration. Employment must never be mentioned as a reason for choosing a university. You have not shown any familiarity with the Math program at Waterloo. You have not connected the Math related facilities of the university with your career goals. You have not mentioned anything of value in this essay that would make you a qualified candidate for the program.
OP remy 1 / 1  
thank you so much for giving advice, I will rewrite this essay. but there are some questions I want to ask.
what if I do not have a specific academic goal like working on a particular type of job or company, what Waterloo can provide me is the chances that I can use to find out what my goal is.

And about showing familiarity with the Math program at Waterloo, will that be appropriate if I mention some academic accomplishments or alumina that I admire about the math program to show my familiarity with it?

and the part of my essay about coop and employment, thank you for point out that I should not mention that. I just want to show how the coop program can help me as a student. but I am confused that, do you mean I must not mention the employment as a reason or I should not mention the coop program at all? because the coop program is related to employment. and the coop program is one of the reasons why I apply for Waterloo. (and how the reviewers would know I am foreign just by reading my essay?
starky_thelad - / 2  
Perhaps you can even talk about the clubs and events at UW that gain your interest. Relating it to yourself and perhaps the clubs and community present at UW can also add to the overall response. Goodluck and best wishes for future!
celeztina 1 / 2  
@remy
Hi Remy, it would be better if you could talk about the events in your life that started to help you gain interest. Remember to relate everything back to yourself and stay on topic!!
nasha123 1 / 3  
maybe be more specific about why you are interested in the math program and uwaterloo would be better, and i think they will hide the information about you to avoid bias. Goodluck!
Umbu Richy 4 / 10 1  
With a limited number of characters, maybe you can answer more directly to what they ask so that you can put more about your personality. They have written down what you have to write so that introduction is not really necessary. And, don't forget to link your reasons to the university.

For example:

I have an interest in ..... and I want to become a ..... (be more specific, it shows your clear motivation)
-the program- at UW provides ..... that can equip me ......
I choose UW because of the experience in ...... and I believe I can grow more with using the....
(it can be a personal reason or maybe u can compare it to other universities with mentioning the UW plus point and how you use it)

Home / Undergraduate / Application for the math program of the university of Waterloo - AIF form essay